Riding without pedal reflectors. OK or not?

It illegal to ride at night without pedal reflectors visible from behind so is it OK to do it?

• Yes, I do it all the time

Votes: 101 74.8%
  • No, I always obey the law

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • I don't ride at night

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • What are pedals?

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
because they are not sold for highway use. This should be included in the manfacturers instructions.
Don't the rules for lighting and reflectors only apply between sunset and sunrise. So it's not strictly true that they are not for highway use.

Discussions about the legality or otherwise of pedal reflectors is navel gazing when law dangerous breaking by other road users is so widespread.

It can be shown that speeding and red light jumping causes death and serious injury, I doubt that anyone can produce any evidence that pedal reflectors have any influence whatsoever on road casualties.

lukesdad

Discussions about the legality or otherwise of pedal reflectors is navel gazing when law dangerous breaking by other road users is so widespread.

It can be shown that speeding and red light jumping causes death and serious injury, I doubt that anyone can produce any evidence that pedal reflectors have any influence whatsoever on road casualties.

I do wonder about clipless pedals though.

OP
OP
R

Red Light

Maybe but it perhaps helps clarify the RLJ issue. Some people are making out RLJing is unacceptable because its illegal but no pedal reflectors after dark is illegal and at current count about 80% of us are happy to break that law.

Its been seriously suggested that cyclists not RLJing costs lives and we certainly have no problem with pedestrians RLJing which is much closer to how cyclists RLJ IME.

al78

Guru
Maybe but it perhaps helps clarify the RLJ issue. Some people are making out RLJing is unacceptable because its illegal but no pedal reflectors after dark is illegal and at current count about 80% of us are happy to break that law.

No that is not the only reason.

Its been seriously suggested that cyclists not RLJing costs lives and we certainly have no problem with pedestrians RLJing which is much closer to how cyclists RLJ IME.

One crucial difference is that when pedestrians cross on red it does not antagonize drivers and fuel negative stereotypes. It is not a good idea if you are a minority group in a democratic society to unnecessarily antagonize the majority.

If you want to be a wheeled pedestrian, buy a pair of roller skates.

aberal

Guru

RLJ and riding without reflectors are not IMHO on the same level. Regardless of the legality, you can ride safely on the road after dark without reflectors but with reflective/hi-viz clothing/strips and more importantly decent lights. A more sensible comparison would be between RLJ and riding without lights. I voted NO to RLJ and YES to riding without reflectors but would vote NO to riding without lights.

cycleruk

I don't think i can really vote on any of these polls because i have one big floor, i am a human being and i am not perfect!, do i ride with out reflectors, yes, but do i ride without lights, no, i have all ways found lights to be 10 times more effective then reflectors, so until some one says anything different, then that is how i will continue to ride.

OP
OP
R

Red Light

One crucial difference is that when pedestrians cross on red it does not antagonize drivers and fuel negative stereotypes. It is not a good idea if you are a minority group in a democratic society to unnecessarily antagonize the majority.

If you want to be a wheeled pedestrian, buy a pair of roller skates.

But why does it antagonise drivers so much? It can't be the law breaking because otherwise our pedals would antagonise them. It can't be the danger because they're not in danger and it turns out not to be dangerous. So what is it that generates such strong feelings for cyclist RLJing compared to all the other things going on?

OP
OP
R

Red Light

RLJ and riding without reflectors are not IMHO on the same level. Regardless of the legality, you can ride safely on the road after dark without reflectors but with reflective/hi-viz clothing/strips and more importantly decent lights.

But if the individual rationalised it as they are crossing like a pedestrian when there is no cross traffic, so minimal danger, so as to be safe from the Green Light Grand Prix, does that make it acceptable?

I'm not an RLJer but I do find it curious as to what specifically it is that arouses such passion and anger in people. It can't be the legality and it can't be the danger. I suspect its somebody making progress while they can't because we see similar behaviour to try and block filtering by some motorists - "If I'm not moving, neither are you" - but I don't know.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
But why does it antagonise drivers so much? It can't be the law breaking because otherwise our pedals would antagonise them. It can't be the danger because they're not in danger and it turns out not to be dangerous. So what is it that generates such strong feelings for cyclist RLJing compared to all the other things going on?
If we suddenly stop rljing will it stop people hating on us? No.
People hate us for many reasons and unless we all stop cycling, it's going to continue.

apollo179

+1
I think its a myth that drivers get antagonised by rljing cyclists.
I didnt get upset by it when i drove nor does anyone i know, nor have i ever experience evidence of it on the road.
I suspect the only people who do get antaganised by it are some cyclists with there own bizzare agenda.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
+1
I think its a myth that drivers get antagonised by rljing cyclists.
I didnt get upset by it when i drove nor does anyone i know, nor have i ever experience evidence of it on the road.
I suspect the only people who do get antaganised by it are some cyclists with there own bizzare agenda.

No it is not a myth.

A RLJ-er got shouted at, abused, and honked at by drivers in the 'sham town centre today about two hours ago. If they were not antagonised what were they about?

Top Bottom