Riding without pedal reflectors. OK or not?

It illegal to ride at night without pedal reflectors visible from behind so is it OK to do it?

• Yes, I do it all the time

Votes: 101 74.8%
  • No, I always obey the law

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • I don't ride at night

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • What are pedals?

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bedrock

We've had a long thread on the rights and wrongs of RLJing and whether its wrong because its the law or wrong because its wrong. So what about pedal reflectors? Its illegal to ride at night without pedal reflectors visible from the rear and a rear reflector. Which makes it illegal to ride with most clipless pedals at night or to ride a bent at all. So is it OK to break this law (I bet most of us do) or not?

I never realized it was the law to have reflectors but I'm pleased you pointed this out and I'll probably get some just in case. However, from a safety point of view, I'd think that a hi-vis jacket (which I also wear) would be much more effective both day and night.

TimO

Guru
Whilst I generally observe the law on the road scrupulously, so don't jump lights, and otherwise behave as all other road users tend to, unfortunately my bicycle lights are largely an exception to this.

A lot of bicycle lights currently being used, and easily available in the country are not legal bicycle lights. Pretty much every bicycle lights using LEDs is not legal, and most bright bicycle lights are not legal (Note, you can use these lights, they're not illegal, but they don't provide legal bike lights).

Since I want lights which make me visible to the average, slightly insane, London car driver, I use lights which aren't legal for use as the sole bicycle lights in this country. By and large, they're brighter and more visible than most legal bicycle lights. I also generally have spare lights (operating in the case of rear lights), and reflectors on my arms and ankles, and tend to wear light coloured visible clothing. I also have SPDs without reflectors, since I find the SPDs far more practical, safer, and easier to use (and I have to take my feet off the pedals a lot on my commute). Since pedals with reflectors aren't that dissimilar to ankle reflectors and reflective elements of my shoes I can live with it, even if not strictly legal.

Pretty much every police cyclists I've seen at night has not had legal bicycle lights. Most police officers won't know the exact details of the road vehicle lighting regulations as they relate to bicycles anyway, and I suspect those that do (the cycling officers) are likely to be willing to ignore them, so long as you have a reasonably working pair of lights.

Yes, I'm not legal as regards bicycle lights and reflectors. Do I think this is a problem? No. I try and achieve lighting and related fixings to a standard which is equivalent or in most cases, far exceeds those laws, but because the laws are outdated, or badly written in the first place, it's hard to conform to them, and virtually no one does.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Whilst I generally observe the law on the road scrupulously, so don't jump lights, and otherwise behave as all other road users tend to, unfortunately my bicycle lights are largely an exception to this.

A lot of bicycle lights currently being used, and easily available in the country are not legal bicycle lights. Pretty much every bicycle lights using LEDs is not legal, and most bright bicycle lights are not legal (Note, you can use these lights, they're not illegal, but they don't provide legal bike lights).

Since I want lights which make me visible to the average, slightly insane, London car driver, I use lights which aren't legal for use as the sole bicycle lights in this country. By and large, they're brighter and more visible than most legal bicycle lights. I also generally have spare lights (operating in the case of rear lights), and reflectors on my arms and ankles, and tend to wear light coloured visible clothing. I also have SPDs without reflectors, since I find the SPDs far more practical, safer, and easier to use (and I have to take my feet off the pedals a lot on my commute). Since pedals with reflectors aren't that dissimilar to ankle reflectors and reflective elements of my shoes I can live with it, even if not strictly legal.

Pretty much every police cyclists I've seen at night has not had legal bicycle lights. Most police officers won't know the exact details of the road vehicle lighting regulations as they relate to bicycles anyway, and I suspect those that do (the cycling officers) are likely to be willing to ignore them, so long as you have a reasonably working pair of lights.

Yes, I'm not legal as regards bicycle lights and reflectors. Do I think this is a problem? No. I try and achieve lighting and related fixings to a standard which is equivalent or in most cases, far exceeds those laws, but because the laws are outdated, or badly written in the first place, it's hard to conform to them, and virtually no one does.

Great post. One question - when you talk about the lights you use are you referring to the type you could MTB at night with? If so they are bright enough to blind a driver.

OP
OP
R

Red Light

You can always fit a pair of legal lights in addition to the ones you use ;)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Depends very much on the particular light and how they are set up on the bike.

Valid. A better question would have been "What lights are you using?"

TimO

Guru
Great post. One question - when you talk about the lights you use are you referring to the type you could MTB at night with? If so they are bright enough to blind a driver.
My lights are positioned and adjusted to point at the road. They're bright, buy they aren't Lupines, I'm not in that price bracket! They are still probably dimmer than most car drivers lights, and I tend to use them on the lowest settings when on road anyway, effectively "dipped".

You can always fit a pair of legal lights in addition to the ones you use ;)
I could, but my handlebar space is already busy with lights, GPS, computer, and my hands!

Adding legal lights would just make me strictly legal, with no real useful gain to anyone. Arguably I could have issues with insurance companies in an accident, but I'm willing to stand up and say that my lights are more visible than legal bike lights, and get expert witnesses if necessary. I have chatted to a lawyer about this briefly!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
My lights are positioned and adjusted to point at the road. They're bright, buy they aren't Lupines, I'm not in that price bracket! They are still probably dimmer than most car drivers lights, and I tend to use them on the lowest settings when on road anyway, effectively "dipped".

Cool. Just wanted to clarify :smile:

Top Bottom