Riding without pedal reflectors. OK or not?

It illegal to ride at night without pedal reflectors visible from behind so is it OK to do it?

• Yes, I do it all the time

Votes: 101 74.8%
  • No, I always obey the law

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • I don't ride at night

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • What are pedals?

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
In what way is it archaic ?

Are you for real?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
No please explain.

In what way is it archaic ?

Sighs, OK with modern bike lights and front and rear reflectors fitted to a bike pedal reflectors have become something of a relic. The law may still be on the books but the enforcement of it is so close to never as not to matter. As long as your bike is well lit no police officer in his right mind would pull you over for not having pedal reflectors. Couple that with the difficultly in getting even clipins for most SPD style pedals and the law is at best pointless. It will stay on the books for a long time to come and be laughed about like being fined for being a big endian egg eater (still on the books as well.)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
1514327 said:

Allegedly yes although it was little endian instead!
UK (some of these do not apply in Scotland or others in Wales):
  1. It is lawful to kill a Scotsman in York if he is carrying a bow and arrow.
  2. It is illegal for taxi drivers to carry rabid dogs or corpses.
  3. A taxi driver must ask passengers if they are suffering from plague or smallpox.
  4. A member of the House of Commons is not allowed to resign his seat. However, if one wants to leave the post, he applies for (and is automatically granted) the Stewardship of the Aylesbury Hundred, which is a job with no duties or pay but which makes him ineligible for membership of Parliament.
  5. Anyone entering the Houses of Parliament while wearing a suit of armour is liable to be arrested.
  6. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (I'm not sure what punishment is inflicted on offenders).
  7. Any whale washed up on the shore is the property of the Queen, so she can use its bones for her corset.
  8. In Hereford you can shoot a Welsh person on a Sunday, with a longbow, in the Cathedral Close.
  9. You can shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow in Chester, inside the city walls and after midnight.
  10. It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.
  11. Women are permitted to go topless in Liverpool provided they work as a clerk in a shop selling tropical fish.
  12. A bed may not be hung out of a window.
  13. It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.
  14. It is illegal to be drunk on licenced premises.
  15. Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end may be sentenced to 24 hours in the stocks.
  16. Any boy under the age of 10 may not see a naked mannequin.
  17. It is illegal to eat mince pies on 25th December.
  18. In London it is illegal to hail a taxi while suffering from bubonic plague.
  19. Sticking a postage stamp (showing the head of the queen, which they all do) on an envelope upside down is considered treason.
  20. It is illegal to go within 100 yards of the queen when not wearing hose, socks or stockings.
  21. It is illegal for any commoner's pet to have carnal knowledge of an animal belonging to the monarch.
  22. A pregnant woman may relieve herself anywhere she likes, including (if she requests) in a policeman's helmet.
  23. A hackney carriage (i.e. taxi) driver must (still) carry a bale of hay and a bucket to feed and water his horse [Thanks to Paula Wilde for reminding me of this one]
  24. It is illegal for a London taxi driver to take more than one day off work in any week unless he gives 10 days notice (presumably to the licensing authority).
  25. It is also illegal for a London taxi driver to pick up a passenger who flags him down, although he is permitted to display an illuminated sign saying he is available.
  26. Also in London you may not carry a plank, pole, ladder, wheel, hoop or tub along the footpath, although you can carry it across the path to load it into a vehicle.
  27. Children in London are forbidden to play any game, fly a kite or slide on ice or snow in the street.
  28. Under a 1906 act of Parliament it is illegal to go to a fancy dress party dressed as a soldier or sailor.
  29. In London it is an offence against the law to beat a carpet in the street, or to beat a doormat in the atreet after 8:00a.m.

twobiker

It is illegal to Rlj unless you have pedal reflectors, as if you are caught by the police they cannot deal with more than one pointless offence at the same time.

apollo179

Sighs, OK with modern bike lights and front and rear reflectors fitted to a bike pedal reflectors have become something of a relic. The law may still be on the books but the enforcement of it is so close to never as not to matter. As long as your bike is well lit no police officer in his right mind would pull you over for not having pedal reflectors. Couple that with the difficultly in getting even clipins for most SPD style pedals and the law is at best pointless. It will stay on the books for a long time to come and be laughed about like being fined for being a big endian egg eater (still on the books as well.)

Ok i see. Outdated because of modern lights .
So is it ok to break this law.

apollo179

I would never say that it is OK to break any law. What I will say is that the chances of the Police ever enforcing it are so remote as for it to be archaic.

FTFY

So you are saying it is not ok to break the pedal reflector law.
Do you think the police should enforce the pedal reflector law .

Top Bottom