Riding without pedal reflectors. OK or not?

It illegal to ride at night without pedal reflectors visible from behind so is it OK to do it?

• Yes, I do it all the time

Votes: 101 74.8%
  • No, I always obey the law

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • I don't ride at night

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • What are pedals?

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Right that's it, I'm booking a flight to Japan and going kicking the crap out of Shimano until they make some fecking reflectors for their pedals, who's coming?

The CTC claim that Shimano sell clipins for al but their most expensive SPD's

Clipless pedal reflectors – 2002.11
I am considering going clipless; however I cannot seem to find much in the way of clipless pedals with reflectors. I believe that reflectors are obligatory at night. If a single sided clipless pedal is chosen is it weighted so that it will always be the right way up? I don't want to have to look down to get it right whilst trying to negotiate a tricky roundabout. Since the pedal and shoe is one item, are the reflectors generally built into the shoes? I have a pair of SPD compatible shoes which don't seem to have them but they may be unusual. What are my options?
Geoff Streeter – Ascot, Berks
Reflectors are indeed obligatory at night, on the front and rear of every pedal, on all types of pedal cycle used on public roads, except those older than October 1985. Unfortunately the cycle trade (and many otherwise well-informed cyclists) prefer to ignore this inconvenient fact. So a lot of clipless pedals are imported without any means of using them legally at night.

To their joint credit, Shimano offer add-on reflectors for almost all of their pedals (except the most expensive) and Madison import them – although many shops don’t even try to sell them. Reflectors for double-sided (mountain-bike) SPDs come as part of a plastic platform that clips into one binding, providing instead a tread surface for normal shoes. Similar reflector platforms are available for some other brands of mountain-bike pedal (VP for example) and this is the one kind of clipless reflector accessory you will find in bike shops. Unfortunately they make the pedals single-sided and do not sufficiently counterweight them to keep the vacant binding on top. And as pedalling surfaces, these platforms leave much to be desired. To attach and detach them without burring the plastic it’s best to slacken off the binding tension, but then it must be cranked up to maximum to stop the insert squirming around. A better idea, if you’re keen to be legal and often ride at night, or in normal shoes, is to fit a dual-purpose pedal such as the Shimano PD-M324, which is made with a binding on one side and a normal quill on the other, to which ordinary pedal reflectors can be bolted. Or consider the type of pedal that has “pop-up bindings” inside a large alloy or plastic cage: PD-M646, M545 or M424 in Shimano’s current range. These are double-sided for either cleated or normal shoes and can be fitted with reflectors that do not impede either use. These pedals are a bit heavy and chunky, but seem to combine all functions without compromising performance. Also the surrounding cage provides the lateral support that is missing from compact clipless pedals, but may be needed by big-footed riders and users of lighter-soled touring shoes. Surprisingly the finest of Shimano’s pop-ups, although billed as an off-road racing/BMX pedal, provides the simplest and neatest legal solution, as it comes complete with reflectors that can be bolted directly to its replaceable end-plates. The two cheaper models require additional outer reflector cages (SM-PD40), which are neither included nor elegant, but apparently work. Forget about single-sided so-called road pedals. There’s nothing about riding on road the makes them a better idea. They merely look pretty and save a few grams to appease roadie hang-ups over aesthetics, aerodynamics and weight. And their reflector accessories, if available, are a fig leaf. They hang off the bottom but do not counterweight the pedal, so this side is just as likely to be uppermost when you stamp away from the traffic lights – to the sound of splintering plastic! Whilst some cycling shoes do have reflective material on the heel, UK traffic law specifies the pedal, the colour and British or International Standard markings that guarantee a level of reflector performance that cannot, to my knowledge, be met by such small areas of this material. Besides: front pedal reflectors are also required. It is possible that ankle bands of Reflexite etc. might achieve the necessary performance and CTC has been campaigning for two decades for a change in the law. However I am a lone voice – since most cycle traders and the cyclists affected by this issue remain “in denial”. With the evenings becoming darker, now is a good time to write to your MP.
Chris Juden

From http://www.ctc.org.u...aspx?TabID=3821

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Right that's it, I'm booking a flight to Japan and going kicking the crap out of Shimano until they make some fecking reflectors for their pedals, who's coming?

Just buy an older bike, pre 1985 and save your money on the flight :biggrin:

adds21

Rider of bikes
Just buy an older bike, pre 1985 and save your money on the flight :biggrin:

I wonder which part of the bike has to be pre-1985. Every single part? The frame? The saddle? A valve cap? :whistle:

I'm off to register Pre1985ValveCaps.co.uk for my new on-line business! :biggrin:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
It seems to be because the law is hardly ever / never enforced. There is one case I am aware of where contributory negligence through them not being used is being cited.

Do you know if anybody has ever been cautioned by the police or admonished in any way by the law for not having reflectors on their pedals?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Do you know if anybody has ever been cautioned by the police or admonished in any way by the law for not having reflectors on their pedals?

No I do not. I was reluctant to say never enforced though as chances are there will be one case somewhere!!!

apollo179

Could you not go to the recycle center/tip and pull some off an old bike?,ours has always got three or four bikes in,

The tips guys seem to guard their operation quite protectively these days - recently the times ive asked about stuff ive allways had to pay for it , but good idea to go to the tip and give the tip guys a couple of quid for them.

oldroadman

Veteran
It's an interesting reflection (pun intended) on the contributors that a thread can run to 11 pages which is basically a pedant charter. Oh dear, how did we all survive before pedal reflectors, silly front and rear reflectors, reflectors in the wheels, crash hats, reflective vests......maybe some common sense and decent lights?

apollo179

It's an interesting reflection (pun intended) on the contributors that a thread can run to 11 pages which is basically a pedant charter. Oh dear, how did we all survive before pedal reflectors, silly front and rear reflectors, reflectors in the wheels, crash hats, reflective vests......maybe some common sense and decent lights?

Are you suggesting its over officious government regulation gone mad ?
:rolleyes:

on the road

Über Member
I can't seriously believe that anyone is worried about being done for having no pedal reflectors. Next you'll be worried that the sky will fall down.

wakou

Über Member
Hi guys I have spd clipless one side, plats the other, AND reflectors. Pedals are these:
Wellgo 95b, pictures of reflectors to follow........

Top Bottom