Riding without pedal reflectors. OK or not?

It illegal to ride at night without pedal reflectors visible from behind so is it OK to do it?

• Yes, I do it all the time

Votes: 101 74.8%
  • No, I always obey the law

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • I don't ride at night

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • What are pedals?

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wakou

Über Member
If it's a legal requirement, why do they make it so hard to buy them?

I am trying to get some fro my SPD pedals for when I go France (they LOOOVE reflectors over there!)

Two shops have now told me that pedal reflectors aren't a legal requirement in ANY country, which is plainly not true, several shops have said they don't exist but i have finally found a shop willing to help, although they said they will have to "make" something out of reflective tape.

It's so frustrating!

Wellgo 95b cilpless SPD, flat AND reflector.... simples :smile:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Just buy an older bike, pre 1985 and save your money on the flight :biggrin:

I thought we could cycle most of the way.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
It's an interesting reflection (pun intended) on the contributors that a thread can run to 11 pages which is basically a pedant charter. Oh dear, how did we all survive before pedal reflectors, silly front and rear reflectors, reflectors in the wheels, crash hats, reflective vests......maybe some common sense and decent lights?

I think all bikes should be fitted with several large fluorescent balloons to make them more visible.

apollo179

I can't seriously believe that anyone is worried about being done for having no pedal reflectors. Next you'll be worried that the sky will fall down.

The poll would suggest that around 14% of forum members are concerned about pedal reflectors.
You might say a righteous minority.

I have had a police officer try and fine me over my lack of reflectors

I think he was a bit upset about me overtaking him on a roundabout (two lanes for straight on, down hill to the 'bout)

I politely pointed out that the bike was never fitted with reflectors due to it having been built in the late 1960's

so what?

my car has no rear seatbelts as it was never fitted with them, but it is legal and passes the MOT each year

Yes...

so surely the same is true of my bike, it is not origional equipment and so isn't needed. I have lights fitted

apollo179

I have had a police officer try and fine me over my lack of reflectors

I think he was a bit upset about me overtaking him on a roundabout (two lanes for straight on, down hill to the 'bout)

I politely pointed out that the bike was never fitted with reflectors due to it having been built in the late 1960's

so what?

my car has no rear seatbelts as it was never fitted with them, but it is legal and passes the MOT each year

Yes...

so surely the same is true of my bike, it is not origional equipment and so isn't needed. I have lights fitted
Nightmare for the police to enforce a law where the legality pivots depending on if the bike was manafactured before or after 1985.
Legally very untidy.

If that's right then I'm laughing as it surely means that my 2011 Cannondale CAAD10, and 2010 Specialized Langster Steel are exempt as they were supplied without pedals, and my Peugeot winter bike came to me as just a frameset, so do your worst copper I'm exempt, Black Sheep says so :thumbsup:

IMHO I can't imagine the old bill wasting time trying to enforce this anyway, imagine the publicity they'd get for pursuing a cyclist for no pedal reflectors while some old woman gets burgled or mugged down the road :whistle:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
If having some sympathy for the police and the difficulties they face doing their job makes me seem strange to you then so be it.

There is no need to have sympathy for the police on this issue. Unless the rider has no other lighting or reflectors the chances of a police officer stopping someone for having no reflectors is so close to zero as to not to matter.

twobiker

They did choose to go into the job, which would seem to entail enforcing laws, and not responding if someone vulnerable is being harrased by a mob of teenagers, oops went off topic there.

apollo179

1514317 said:
Yes but every time that they go out there is the prospect of having to enforce a myriad of laws, many of which are way more complex than the issue of a bike being made before a specific date. In the larger scheme of things it is but a pin prick.
Yes i agree but this topic is about pedal reflectors.
As you say in the larger scheme of things it is a tiny speck of the difficulties the police face.

apollo179

There is no need to have sympathy for the police on this issue. Unless the rider has no other lighting or reflectors the chances of a police officer stopping someone for having no reflectors is so close to zero as to not to matter.
And what is your opinion of this.
Is selective enforcement of the law ok in your opinion ?

Top Bottom