Riding without pedal reflectors. OK or not?

It illegal to ride at night without pedal reflectors visible from behind so is it OK to do it?

• Yes, I do it all the time

Votes: 101 74.8%
  • No, I always obey the law

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • I don't ride at night

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • What are pedals?

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I said that i had more respekt for someone expressing an opinion in an open , frank and honest way than some sneaky insinuating pc sniper.
Im happy to end the matter other than to say choosing your words more carefully could be applied to you as well.
You will appreciate that when youve be publicly accused a private retraction is less than worthless - i have no desire to communicate in private. If you had wanted to communicate in private you might have considered doing so originally - as i would point out other more responsible forum members have done.

O.k then. You have made yourself absolutely clear and I see no reason to contiue this.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
If it's a legal requirement, why do they make it so hard to buy them?

I am trying to get some fro my SPD pedals for when I go France (they LOOOVE reflectors over there!)

Two shops have now told me that pedal reflectors aren't a legal requirement in ANY country, which is plainly not true, several shops have said they don't exist but i have finally found a shop willing to help, although they said they will have to "make" something out of reflective tape.

It's so frustrating!

I can perhaps sugest that you buy the cheapset pedals you can get your hands on (and that is pretty darned cheap) and you pry the reflectors out of them to fit onto your hopefuly better quality pedals.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
If it's a legal requirement, why do they make it so hard to buy them?

I am trying to get some fro my SPD pedals for when I go France (they LOOOVE reflectors over there!)

Two shops have now told me that pedal reflectors aren't a legal requirement in ANY country, which is plainly not true, several shops have said they don't exist but i have finally found a shop willing to help, although they said they will have to "make" something out of reflective tape.

It's so frustrating!

I can perhaps sugest that you buy the cheapset pedals you can get your hands on (and that is pretty darned cheap) and you pry the reflectors out of them to fit onto your hopefuly better quality pedals.

adds21

Rider of bikes
I carry clip on flats for my SPD's that have pedal reflectors on them. I will use them If I am cycling after dusk. When the law is changed I will stop carrying them as the are a pain in the arse.

So, are you saying if you cycle after dark, you'll clip in your flat adapters to your SPD pedals, and go non-clipless just to keep in line with the letter of the law?

What if you go somewhere during day light hours, and return when it's dark (eg, commuting in early autumn). Would you carry an extra pair of non-SPD shoes, or ride home in the dark, with SPD shoes and adapted flat pedals?

No offence friend, but you're mad if you do that, and I don't for one moment believe that anyone, IRL, is quite that anal!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
So, are you saying if you cycle after dark, you'll clip in your flat adapters to your SPD pedals, and go non-clipless just to keep in line with the letter of the law?

What if you go somewhere during day light hours, and return when it's dark (eg, commuting in early autumn). Would you carry an extra pair of non-SPD shoes, or ride home in the dark, with SPD shoes and adapted flat pedals?

No offence friend, but you're mad if you do that, and I don't for one moment believe that anyone, IRL, is quite that anal!

I use M520's (Double sided SPDs) The clip-ins are in my rucksack or saddle bag. It is the matter of a few moments to clip them in. I don't leave them on all the time because they look crap, are pretty flimsy, could be nicked,l at al.

adds21

Rider of bikes
They are in my rucksack or saddle bag. It is the matter of a few moments to clip them in. I don't leave them on all the time because they look crap, are pretty flimsy, could be nicked,l at al.

Sure, I've got a pair somewhere for my M520's I think (never used them, never will!). But if you commute (do you commute?) and you ride into work on SPD's, would you really ride home non-clipped in if it's dark?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Sure, I've got a pair somewhere for my M520's I think (never used them, never will!). But if you commute (do you commute?) and you ride into work on SPD's, would you really ride home non-clipped in if it's dark?

The pedals are double sided! Why would I have to ride clipless on the way home. They clip in to one side and the very same shoes clip into the other side of the pedal. Why is this a difficult concept to understand?

adds21

Rider of bikes
The pedals are double sided! Why would I have to ride clipless on the way home. They clip in to one side and the very same shoes clip into the other side of the pedal. Why is this a difficult concept to understand?

Ah! Okay. I understand. My mistake, I didn't realise the flat adapters would allow the clip of the other side of the pedal to be used (Not sure why I didn't "get that" - Makes perfect sense when you think about it!).

So, you're not quite as mad as I thought :thumbsup:, but I'm still amazed you can be bothered to fit the flats when it's dark. I know I wouldn't, especially as it makes it harder to clip in as your double sided M520's have now become single sided.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

Attachments

• DSCI0003.JPG
    DSCI0003.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCI0004.JPG
    DSCI0004.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 45

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Ah! Okay. I understand. My mistake, I didn't realise the flat adapters would allow the clip of the other side of the pedal to be used (Not sure why I didn't "get that" - Makes perfect sense when you think about it!).

So, you're not quite as mad as I thought :thumbsup:, but I'm still amazed you can be bothered to fit the flats when it's dark. I know I wouldn't, especially as it makes it harder to clip in as your double sided M520's have now become single sided.

:biggrin: I am a cycling instructor so I need to be seen to do the right thing.

Top Bottom