Riding without pedal reflectors. OK or not?

It illegal to ride at night without pedal reflectors visible from behind so is it OK to do it?

• Yes, I do it all the time

Votes: 101 74.8%
  • No, I always obey the law

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • I don't ride at night

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • What are pedals?

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
On consideration i am refraining from commenting as ive allready found how quick people are to shout racist , so although i may agree with you i could not possibly comment . I do respekt you for giving the frank straightforward opinion - more than i do these cowardly pc racist calling types.

I would say in answer to youre race card comment in the context of what ive allready said that you could say that i have been playing the immigrant card (rather than the race card) in proposing tolerance and understanding of immigrants who contravene british laws.
And i would say that so long as the uk continues its tradition of welcoming immigrants from other countries then i would say that it behoves us to be understanding and tolerant of legal lapses caused by this culture gap.

It's probably not a coincidence that you find people thinking you may have slightly racist views. Personaly I find I am able to talk about race and peoples to any extent I feel is apropriate and never find myself being accused of racism. I also never feel that there are subjects that I cannot discuss for fear of being thought racist and I find it hard to see how anyone could have this problem unles what they were saying did indeed have racist overtones. How can I never have had this problem which you and some others seem to find so debilitating when talking about race or ethnicity?

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I am white and British and I am sorry to shatter anybodies illusions but I have not and will not ever be pursuaded to wear a seatbelt on my bike.

apollo179

It's probably not a coincidence that you find people thinking you may have slightly racist views. Personaly I find I am able to talk about race and peoples to any extent I feel is apropriate and never find myself being accused of racism. I also never feel that there are subjects that I cannot discuss for fear of being thought racist and I find it hard to see how anyone could have this problem unles what they were saying did indeed have racist overtones. How can I never have had this problem which you and some others seem to find so debilitating when talking about race or ethnicity?

Nice coming in on the tail of a complicated discussion and presenting yourself as mr perfect.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Nice coming in on the tail of a complicated discussion and presenting yourself as mr perfect.

I speak as I find and the point I make is entirely relevant to what I read albeit at the tail end of a discussion. I never siad I was perfect just that I don't seem to have the problem of not being able to discus race without worrying about being called racist. At least I wasn't putting words into anybodies mouth eh?

To call someone a racist just because other people have seems irresponsible. Its a serious allegation and "no smoke without fire" reasoning is insufficient.
Just something to think about.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
To call someone a racist just because other people have seems irresponsible. Its a serious allegation and "no smoke without fire" reasoning is insufficient.
Just something to think about.

I am tired of hearing the same comment over and over, that it is impossible to talk about race because one immidiately gets labled a racist. This has not been my experience at all and I find that it is used as a blanket defense for people who espouse views that they can not defend in any other way. It is a catch all phrase used to try and change the perception of who is being singled out for discrimination. It is, as far as I'm concerned, about an effective and pursuasive a statement as saying that one cannot possibly be racist because one has friends who are black.
It is also extremely difficult not to say anything when people are so facile as to say that (and I paraphrase) 'indians aren't entitiled to complain about prejudice because of the caste system' and 'Indians will always play the race card when challenged in any way'
You are right that an allegation of racism is serious. In this case I should probably pull up short of that specific allegation so to that end I apologise if I have overtly called anyone an out and out racist. However the tone and language of much of the latter parts of the discusion were couched in terms and language that certianly make a less than savoury interpretation of their content virtualy inevetable.
I'll make this the last comment I make on this as it is way off topic and not the sort of discussion I really want to have on a cycling forum but I felt that I could not remain silent. If anybody wishes to say anything to me about this or call me names or whatever then feel free to do so in a private message.

apollo179

I am tired of hearing the same comment over and over, that it is impossible to talk about race because one immidiately gets labled a racist. This has not been my experience at all and I find that it is used as a blanket defense for people who espouse views that they can not defend in any other way. It is a catch all phrase used to try and change the perception of who is being singled out for discrimination. It is, as far as I'm concerned, about an effective and pursuasive a statement as saying that one cannot possibly be racist because one has friends who are black.
It is also extremely difficult not to say anything when people are so facile as to say that (and I paraphrase) 'indians aren't entitiled to complain about prejudice because of the caste system' and 'Indians will always play the race card when challenged in any way'
You are right that an allegation of racism is serious. In this case I should probably pull up short of that specific allegation so to that end I apologise if I have overtly called anyone an out and out racist. However the tone and language of much of the latter parts of the discusion were couched in terms and language that certianly make a less than savoury interpretation of their content virtualy inevetable.
I'll make this the last comment I make on this as it is way off topic and not the sort of discussion I really want to have on a cycling forum but I felt that I could not remain silent. If anybody wishes to say anything to me about this or call me names or whatever then feel free to do so in a private message.

Interesting you say you are "able to talk about race and peoples to any extent" and willing in a public forum to call me a racist but now are only willing to continue in private. MMhh.
I didnt say the comments that you quote above but i am the one you called a racist.
If you considered the opinions posted in more detail maybe you would be in a better position to cast a judgement.
I can stomach people calling me a moron (to some extent we are all morons) but racist (although i would say that by the same token we are all to some extent racist) i cannot accept.
I would say to anyone who reads your post calling me a racist to judge for themselves not as you have done by thoughtless sheep mentality. Baaaaaa Baaaaaa

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Interesting you say you are "able to talk about race and peoples to any extent" and willing in a public forum to call me a racist but now are only willing to continue in private. MMhh.
I didnt say the comments that you quote above but i am the one you called a racist.
If you considered the opinions posted in more detail maybe you would be in a better position to cast a judgement.
I can stomach people calling me a moron (to some extent we are all morons) but racist (although i would say that by the same token we are all to some extent racist) i cannot accept.
I would say to anyone who reads your post calling me a racist to judge for themselves not as you have done by thoughtless sheep mentality. Baaaaaa Baaaaaa

I was only trying to spare the general public from listening to this. I've got no reason to hide from anything. As far as I can tell I haven't called you a racist I have just said that considering the language and terminology you employ that I'm not surprised that some people might think you are. I also did not atribute the gross generalisations about indians to you either but I do notice that you waste no time in expressing your admiration of the forthright way in which that sentiment was put.
For the record I'm not saying you are or are not a racist. I would say that if you don't want their to be any confusion about the matter that you might choose your words more carefuly. I would urge you that if you want to continue in this matter that you do so privately. This is not to save my own blushes because I have none I just think stand up rows in front of everybody are a bit naff and I don't see the need to showboat.

apollo179

I was only trying to spare the general public from listening to this. I've got no reason to hide from anything. As far as I can tell I haven't called you a racist I have just said that considering the language and terminology you employ that I'm not surprised that some people might think you are. I also did not atribute the gross generalisations about indians to you either but I do notice that you waste no time in expressing your admiration of the forthright way in which that sentiment was put.
For the record I'm not saying you are or are not a racist. I would say that if you don't want their to be any confusion about the matter that you might choose your words more carefuly. I would urge you that if you want to continue in this matter that you do so privately. This is not to save my own blushes because I have none I just think stand up rows in front of everybody are a bit naff and I don't see the need to showboat.
I said that i had more respekt for someone expressing an opinion in an open , frank and honest way than some sneaky insinuating pc sniper.
Im happy to end the matter other than to say choosing your words more carefully could be applied to you as well.
You will appreciate that when youve be publicly accused a private retraction is less than worthless - i have no desire to communicate in private. If you had wanted to communicate in private you might have considered doing so originally - as i would point out other more responsible forum members have done.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
If it's a legal requirement, why do they make it so hard to buy them?

I am trying to get some fro my SPD pedals for when I go France (they LOOOVE reflectors over there!)

Two shops have now told me that pedal reflectors aren't a legal requirement in ANY country, which is plainly not true, several shops have said they don't exist but i have finally found a shop willing to help, although they said they will have to "make" something out of reflective tape.

It's so frustrating!

Top Bottom