Riding without pedal reflectors. OK or not?

It illegal to ride at night without pedal reflectors visible from behind so is it OK to do it?

• Yes, I do it all the time

Votes: 101 74.8%
  • No, I always obey the law

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • I don't ride at night

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • What are pedals?

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I voted I obey the law, only one of my bikes has clipless pedals, the other two have stabdrad pedals with rfelveters & if I was out after dark, chnaces are i'd be on one of them. But saying that, if I did get caught out in the drak on my Spesh I have at laest 4 rear lights & lord knows how much reflective stuff on my night time jacket!

This thread is gay.
Speak for yourself

OP
OP
R

Red Light

As far as I know, riding without pedal reflectors is perfectly legal. Selling a bike fitted with pedals but without pedal reflectors is illegal - unless the bike has pedals that are for racing.

I think you are mixing up bells and pedal reflectors. Riding a bike without pedal reflectors when its dark is illegal. RVLR 1989 Schedule 20

Requirements relating to obligatory pedal retro reflectors and optional pedal retro reflectors to the extent specified in part ii

1. Number: Two reflectors on each pedal
2. Position–
(a) Longitudinal:On the leading edge and the trailing edge of each pedal
(b) Lateral:No requirement
(c) Vertical:No requirement

3. Angles of visibility: Such that the reflector on the leading edge of each pedal is plainly visible to the front and the reflector on the trailing edge of each pedal is plainly visible to the rear
4. Markings: A British Standard mark
5. Size of reflecting area: No requirement
6. Colour: Amber

tyred

Legendary Member
There is a cut off so that bikes built before (I think) 1986 don't require them by law. So all but one of my bikes are exempt from this rule but I still like to have them at night. They do attract attention, I have seen it many times on other bikes while driving.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
OK all the posters who said they use pedal reflectors to stay legal, do you ever have rear panniers on your bike when your ride at night? Panniers generally obscure pedal reflectors so they are not visible from the rear and therefore ostensibly illegal..

My Ortlieb panniers have reflective patches on ... does that count? As does my mudguards both back and front, and some of those clip on spoke reflectors (though they seem to disappear off my bike quicker than on my son or husbands bike ... I suspect it might have something to do with where I lock mine up!).

I find that the pedal reflectors fall off ... and I can't be the only person as I've been known to pick old ones up off the ground to attach back to my pedals. That said I would rather rely on my lights and reflective ankle bands which are larger and cover a greater angle.

Alun

Guru
OK all the posters who said they use pedal reflectors to stay legal, do you ever have rear panniers on your bike when your ride at night? Panniers generally obscure pedal reflectors so they are not visible from the rear and therefore ostensibly illegal..

The reflectors are still visible from the front/rear of the pedal, whether panniers are fitted to the bike or not.

snailracer

Über Member
Firstly - i was not seeking to blame anyone of anything.
As an rljer myself with strong ties to "these people" i was basically attempting to in some poorly expressed way explain (mitigate) some rlj behaviour.
I was seeking to introduce the idea of multiculturism as one reason for why a large segment of societys may be unfamiliar with your concepts of "antisociability, fair play, We don't like people breaking rules.it looks irresponsible". etc etc. I was in no way hiding who i was talking about - as i have stated "non indigenous peoples and descendants from recent immigrants."
This is not moral relativism , it is more like just an appreciation of the possible conflicts associated with cultural migration.
I have been in a car with an elder immigrant who wound his car window down and emptied his car of all the rubbish as we went along. I was horrified but could not say anything as he was my elder. My point is that this was wrong to you and me but to him it was fine because it is fine where he was born (and i have spent half my life so i know). In absolute terms it was wrong in this country but the norm in his country.

Apologies for the misunderstanding or offence my eccentric wording caused and please let me know if thare is any repeat in this message as this is not the intention.
Us British have been wading through our own refuse since the Romans left. Next you'll be blaming foreigners (or would that just be the non-white foreigners?) for football hooliganism, graffiti and vandalism.

apollo179

Us British have been wading through our own refuse since the Romans left. Next you'll be blaming foreigners (or would that just be the non-white foreigners?) for football hooliganism, graffiti and vandalism.

Nonsense.
As an rljing immigrant (of sorts) you can be assured that i was not blaming immigrants - quite the opposite. I was expressing the notion that immigrants bring there own culture and values with them and where these are different to those here in uk we should be understanding , be tolerant and bare these cross cultural considerations in mind before condemning them (for rljing for example)
Example - i never saw a seat belt over 15 years in india. So coming from india to uk isnt it understandable that there will be some seat belt culture gap (cos its the law to wear one i find here). But still i dont have that in built "must wear a seatbelt" thing that you guys presumably do. On the occasions i forget - its wrong but hey ive kindof got an excuse.
Snailracer - By your suggesting that by foreigners i mean just non-white foreigners i take it that you are insinuating that i am racist which unless you can substantiate your accusation i find quite cowardly and nasty .
It is a shame that any discussion if immigrants seems makes you a racist - something else i dont understand about the uk.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It is a shame that any discussion if immigrants seems makes you a racist - something else i dont understand about the uk.

Britain through colonialism and via its treatments of immigrants - Irish, Jews, and later those from the Commonwealth - has a guilty conscience.

As soon as you mention foreigners, you're automatically labelled a racist or a racist's sympathiser.

apollo179

Britain through colonialism and via its treatments of immigrants - Irish, Jews, and later those from the Commonwealth - has a guilty conscience.

As soon as you mention foreigners, you're automatically labelled a racist or a racist's sympathiser.

Good point. I would love to reply with an insight about what india and indians are like but had better not as it might be interpretted as racist. Im learning - yipee.

Top Bottom