Riding without pedal reflectors. OK or not?

It illegal to ride at night without pedal reflectors visible from behind so is it OK to do it?

• Yes, I do it all the time

Votes: 101 74.8%
  • No, I always obey the law

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • I don't ride at night

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • What are pedals?

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rowan 46

Über Member
of course riding without reflectors is ok if you have lights. so is rlj on empty streets although I normally don't do it. but to rlj through pedestrians or past a line of cars is as stupid and thoughtless as riding at night without lights

apollo179

What's that meant to mean?

Its meant to mean that in certain parts of the country , principally urban areas we have got large communities of non indigenous peoples and descendants from recent immigrants. These people have different cultures , different from the traditional english culture. Different - im not saying better or worse. Indeed i know that moral decline is an extreme concern to immigrant communities as the west is regarded as being sexualy promiscous , a widely held perception in hand cutting of lands. These cross cultural fears work both ways.

Bicycle

Agree with everything youve said.
However the reality on the ground, especially in some inner city areas, is that large sectors of society are inconsioderate , irresponsible and break the rules. and that the morality that you refer has been and is being slowly corroded.
In multicultural britain there are people to whom the british sense of fair play is not familiar , indeed there are alot of people who cannot even speak english. We have a decreasingly classic white (fair play) culture.
I am not seeking to critiscise these people , they have there own morality that we may not entirely understand, i am just trying to temper this discussion with a little perspective.

The phrase 'white (fair play) culture' follows closely the phrase 'there are a lot of people who cannot even speak English'.

I find the construction of the first phrse I quote slightly clunky, but I think its meaning is clear enough.

However, if you thought that by adding a claim that you don't want to 'criticise these people' you would sound any less like Alf Garnett in a moment of delusional, imagined enlightenment, you were wrong.

The broad implication flowing through the above is that the finger of blame can be pointed in one, clear direction. Just as when David Duke sought public office in the US by making non-racial references to the 'rising welfare underclass', many people will think they know exactly who you are talking about.

Feel free to add perspective; but if it's not your intention to sound like an ELD wannabe, you might want to review your use of language.

apollo179

The phrase 'white (fair play) culture' follows closely the phrase 'there are a lot of people who cannot even speak English'.

I find the construction of the first phrse I quote slightly clunky, but I think its meaning is clear enough.

However, if you thought that by adding a claim that you don't want to 'criticise these people' you would sound any less like Alf Garnett in a moment of delusional, imagined enlightenment, you were wrong.

The broad implication flowing through the above is that the finger of blame can be pointed in one, clear direction. Just as when David Duke sought public office in the US by making non-racial references to the 'rising welfare underclass', many people will think they know exactly who you are talking about.

Feel free to add perspective; but if it's not your intention to sound like an ELD wannabe, you might want to review your use of language.
If by introducing the topic of multiculturism i sound like alf garnet then thats unfortunate as culturally i have feet in both camps.
What does eld stand for - if your comparing me with it id like to know what it means.

Bicycle

If by introducing the topic of multiculturism i sound like alf garnet then thats unfortunate as culturally i have feet in both camps.
What does eld stand for - if your comparing me with it id like to know what it means.

Whoops.... Typo strikes again.

ELD should read EDL. I can see why that threw you. My apologies.

Introducing multiculturalism is by no means wrong, but the piece I quoted and questioned was eccentric in its wording if not meant to cause offence.

byegad

Legendary Member
As a bent rider this one is an example of the law not moving with the technology. I had them on one bike and they would have been visible to LGM in their flying saucer or earthworms looking up.

I do use a lot of lights to make up for the lack of a pedal reflector.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
As a bent rider this one is an example of the law not moving with the technology. I had them on one bike and they would have been visible to LGM in their flying saucer or earthworms looking up.

I do use a lot of lights to make up for the lack of a pedal reflector.
good grief! Is this another example of the non-indigenous culture we've been hearing about?

Moodyman

Legendary Member

In multicultural britain there are people to whom the british sense of fair play is not familiar , indeed there are alot of people who cannot even speak english. We have a decreasingly classic white (fair play) culture.

As David Starkey said, we're all becoming black.

apollo179

Whoops.... Typo strikes again.

ELD should read EDL. I can see why that threw you. My apologies.

Introducing multiculturalism is by no means wrong, but the piece I quoted and questioned was eccentric in its wording if not meant to cause offence.

Firstly - i was not seeking to blame anyone of anything.
As an rljer myself with strong ties to "these people" i was basically attempting to in some poorly expressed way explain (mitigate) some rlj behaviour.
I was seeking to introduce the idea of multiculturism as one reason for why a large segment of societys may be unfamiliar with your concepts of "antisociability, fair play, We don't like people breaking rules.it looks irresponsible". etc etc. I was in no way hiding who i was talking about - as i have stated "non indigenous peoples and descendants from recent immigrants."
This is not moral relativism , it is more like just an appreciation of the possible conflicts associated with cultural migration.
I have been in a car with an elder immigrant who wound his car window down and emptied his car of all the rubbish as we went along. I was horrified but could not say anything as he was my elder. My point is that this was wrong to you and me but to him it was fine because it is fine where he was born (and i have spent half my life so i know). In absolute terms it was wrong in this country but the norm in his country.

Apologies for the misunderstanding or offence my eccentric wording caused and please let me know if thare is any repeat in this message as this is not the intention.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
I have pedal reflectors, but no-one can see them through my two panniers. According to the RVLR, this appears to be illegal. The fact that it is illegal is completely Bl**dy stupid. I also have a big rear reflector and two fairly bright rear lights, one flashing and the other steady.

If someone hits me from behind, I am sure some hot-shot lawyer will claim contributory negilgence, and I have no doubt that some stupid judge will agree. However, the only alternative is to start carrying my stuff in the boot of my car which, incidentally, doesn't have any reflectors fitted to the pedals (but isn't illegal). :wacko:

400bhp

Guru
However the reality on the ground, especially in some inner city areas, is that large sectors of society are inconsioderate , irresponsible and break the rules. and that the morality that you refer has been and is being slowly corroded.
I am not seeking to critiscise these people , they have there own morality that we may not entirely understand, i am just trying to temper this discussion with a little perspective.
I myself have been horrified when i have seen freinds throw litter without seemingly any qualm , this is because in other countries it is ok to throw litter and indeed other people depend on litter collecting for there livelyhood.
So my point is that you are right but the reality on the ground is not as clear cut as all that.
Anyway have a nice sunday.

There's a lot of people who can't spell, or use a good level of grammar.

Top Bottom