Ridley Helium SLX - opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I saw a nice Ridley Helium SLX in a local bike store this morning, and was wondering if any of you had bought or just ridden one, and what were your impressions?

The one in the store had some features I like:
- conventional frame shape, i.e. mostly circular/oval cross-sections
- light weight: this one has a 54cm frame and weighs 7kg (the staff used a portable scale to weigh it for me). Thanks to having fairly long legs, I'd probably need their next size up, which I think is 57cm (and I'd have to move the stem above all the spacers, and flip the stem), but it should still be fairly light, as I understand from a bit of reading that the Helium SLX is their range designed for light weight
- Dura-Ace group set, but the next time it needed replacing, I'd probably go with Ultegra. A dumb question: is it possible to put Ultegra cassette and chain wheels on a Dura-Ace group set?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Mate of mine has a basic £1,000 Ridley gravel bike which he has been pleased with.

In Europe, Ridley offer custom frame and fork colours.

@Elybazza61 recently built a nice one.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/new-bike-frame-time-ridley-kanzo-adventure-custom.254269/

Rando

Veteran
I have a Helium SLX on order - delivery mid March !
Will post more details once I have it unless you decide to purchase one (or something else) before.
I looked at lots of bikes and opted for the Ridley as I like the more traditional shape and you do not see too many of them about (well certainly not in Leicestershire which is my riding ground).

Haven't seen one yet but have an older Helium and the shop manager has the newer version.

They are a good all round bike and mine is stable and comfy(for a race oriented bike) on the crappy roads around here and obviously flys up any inclines (not many around here I know!).

Did the shop mention the free custom paint code? This is running until the end of February or until the codes run out.

Of course being from down under it should really be set up like this:laugh:

AdamHansenRidley2017-1.jpg

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I have a Helium SLX on order - delivery mid March !
Will post more details once I have it unless you decide to purchase one (or something else) before.
I looked at lots of bikes and opted for the Ridley as I like the more traditional shape and you do not see too many of them about (well certainly not in Leicestershire which is my riding ground).
I won't have bought a new bike by the time you get yours, as I'm in no hurry to decide.

Top Bottom