Right bottom foot pain after cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Hi all

During the summer I take cycling up as part of maintaining fitness.
Winter months are filled with Hockey.

After 20+ miles, I feel fine on a bike, however when I get off, the bottom right middle side of my foot feels like it's going to seize up!
This happens everytime, any idea what it maybe?
I've tweaked me cleat position a few times but no improved results.

I sit on the heels of my feet to stretch it out and it calms down after 10-15 minutes, but unsure if there is an immediate remedy to this niggle?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Which foot? With all shoes?

Sounds to me a bit like pressure isn't being distributed across the foot enough but I have limited knowledge of cleats.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you considered seeing a podiatrist to see if footbeds might help? Do you ever get similar pain walking, running?

Do you use SPD or SPD-SL type cleats?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's possible that both your feet are not as wide as each other and one (your right, I guess) is slightly broader than your shoes allow. Personally, I've had issues to do with narrow Shimano shoes and now buy 2 Euro sizes bigger.

OP
OP
iamRayRay

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Went out again this morning for 20 miles. Both feet ached this time. I'm putting it down to getting back on the bike after a long time off.

I use SPD Cleats, shoes are Shimano MTB ones with lots of wiggle room.
Seeing some relief after I stretch my Calves as well.

@vickster I do get lower right back pain when I run (hence why I don't run long distance!)

@mjray Good point, these are 2nd hand shoes so I could get a proper pair...

vickster

Legendary Member
Stretch your glutes, hamstrings and lower back too

And perhaps try some specialized footbeds if the shoe inners are worn

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Foot pain middle right thats easing when you stretch calves.......

Sounds like your riding too much toe down and your saddle needs lowering a touch. I had same issues in the past, which was sorted by moving cleats rearword and lowering saddle to compensate. Now no issues at all

Top Bottom