Right Decision to go Fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldie But Goodie

I am a very fit 57 yrs old and cannot resist the chance to try and hopefully buy a fixie this week.
My only worry is that maybe a fixie is only for 20 somethings? and also maybe I will still need gears at my age?
I am totally dedicated to fitness and cycling and even been out for a road ride in Bristol centre today but just don't want to make a pratt of myself?
Please advise guys/

yello

Welcome ObG.

You'll not make a pratt of yourself riding fixed and there's no age limit on riding fixed gear.

All I'd recommend is to take your time getting used to it (and that applies to anyone regardless of age).

You could well have a few 'moments' when learning the ropes, it's to be expected, but so long as you're taking it easy you'll not suffer anything worse than perhaps a bit of embarrassment!

I've been riding fixed for 6 or 7 years now, prefer it and don't see myself stopping... and I'm no 20 something, I'll be 50 next year.

OP
OP
O

Oldie But Goodie

Welcome ObG.

You'll not make a pratt of yourself riding fixed and there's no age limit on riding fixed gear.

All I'd recommend is to take your time getting used to it (and that applies to anyone regardless of age).

You could well have a few 'moments' when learning the ropes, it's to be expected, but so long as you're taking it easy you'll not suffer anything worse than perhaps a bit of embarrassment!

I've been riding fixed for 6 or 7 years now, prefer it and don't see myself stopping... and I'm no 20 something, I'll be 50 next year.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
15 years ago practically the only people you ever saw riding fixed, outside of London, was older cyclists- those that grew up in the era when club cyclists often switched to fixed in the winter.

Anyway it's different, you might take to it. You do get to select the gear you want, just can't change it on the fly. I'm in my 40s, not very fit, fittish- I race a bit, badly. Most of my commuting and transport riding is on fixed, although I also use it for day rides (or night rides- because I've got good lighting on that bike), even toured on it last summer- couple of panniers, only had to walk once- but you should've seen the hill.

I didn't like it at first, I mean it was interesting, but I wasn't entirely comfortable. It took me a couple of weeks to start feeling properly comfortable and a fair bit longer before I started to enjoy it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Go fixed, takes a short amount of time to get the hang of it, but the result is waaaay more rewarding than SS. You'll wonder why we need all those gears.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I'm 50 next week andI'm just starting the same experiment.

Should pick up my old Raleigh with a new fixed hub on it. I plan some very careful practice rides :smile:

Martin

I've been riding fixed for about 4 years now. Mainly commuting, but I have also ridden a couple of long (78mile) events over the last 2 years on my fixed. Far more enjoyable and satisfying than my geared bikes.

I am also getting close to the half century.

yello

I didn't like it at first, I mean it was interesting, but I wasn't entirely comfortable. It took me a couple of weeks to start feeling properly comfortable and a fair bit longer before I started to enjoy it.

That was kind of my experience too, as I think back. In fact, as I recall, I nearly sold it within the month! I went though a phase, after I got the hang of it, of just not being sure. I think I was too aware of having to have the spidey senses at full alert for much of the time. It wasn't relaxing. But it all settled down with time and I found myself naturally recognising potential problems and slowing up accordingly. You can't just stop dead like on freewheel so it's wise to not take chances and that means looking ahead and anticipating.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
You are never too young to start :thumbsup: I started a couple of years ago at 43.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Go for it,you won't look back ! Rode my geared bike for the first time in ages today ( felt sorry for it) and i could not get used to the freewheel ! Absolutley love riding fixed especially in the ice and snow.....on slicks !

OP
OP
O

Oldie But Goodie

Thanks to all you guys for your encouraging comments and I cannot wait to try the Bianchi Vera Brera single speed tomorrow with a view to buying now with a bit more confidence. Im like a kid at Christmas may not even sleep tonight!!!!
OBG

Thanks to all you guys for your encouraging comments and I cannot wait to try the Bianchi Vera Brera single speed tomorrow with a view to buying now with a bit more confidence. Im like a kid at Christmas may not even sleep tonight!!!!
OBG

That's a pretty bike, though perhaps not the best available, and, unless you're really gone on the stylish looks, not good value. But, if it means you're having fun, then by all means, go for it.

Like palinurus above, I recall the old boys changing over to fixed every winter. I thought they were mad - not for riding fixed: That made sense, but for using only one gear in Sheffield!

fwiw, I am 46, and started riding fixed about three years ago. I'd wanted to do it for over twenty years, but never had the money.

Now, I have a three speed fixed hub for commuting, which helps a great deal. I'm thinking about getting different sprockets for it so I can use the same bike for cycle camping and TTing as well.

Top Bottom