Right foot touching the top tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdcadillac

Hello all,
when I bought the bike I did a bike fit and they adjust the cleat for me. that was the first time I wear a cleat, never worn one before.
now after couple of days on the bike I have my right foot touching the top tube and my ankle sometimes touching the back of the pedal. the left one seems normal.
I know for fact that my both feet are not even as already in the past developed hip and knee issues on my right one but it was not due to cycling.
any advice if I have to take the seat higher, adjust the cleat ...
Thank you

Attachments

• left.jpg
    left.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 11
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Clear pictures of the cleat setup please.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It can't be the top tube - that is what people used to call the crossbar! And it won't be the pedal, it will be the crankarm.

Take a look at this page which explains what the different parts of a bike are called.

My shoes sometimes make slight contact with the cranks and the chainstays. I could adjust them not to but getting them very close suits me.

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

It can't be the top tube - that is what people used to call the crossbar! And it won't be the pedal, it will be the crankarm.

Take a look at this page which explains what the different parts of a bike are called.

My shoes sometimes make slight contact with the cranks and the chainstays. I could adjust them not to but getting them very close suits me.
thank you Colin. If it is OK to touch the crank I am ok with it. but how about my right tight touching the top tube?

ColinJ

If it is OK to touch the crank I am ok with it.
Obviously, you don't want to be bashing into it, but a light contact every now and then is okay. I have worn shiny patches on my cranks where the shoes have contacted them
but how about my right tight touching the top tube
Thigh?

My thighs are not far away from the top tube when I pedal, but don't normally touch, though sometimes I rest one or the other against it when descending quickly to stop the bike moving about too much. I suppose it also depends on whether you have big legs? My legs are a medium size (they don't have massive muscles or lots of fat, but they are not skinny either).

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

Obviously, you don't want to be bashing into it, but a light contact every now and then is okay. I have worn shiny patches on my cranks where the shoes have contacted them

Thigh?

My thighs are not far away from the top tube when I pedal, but don't normally touch, though sometimes I rest one or the other against it when descending quickly to stop the bike moving about too much. I suppose it also depends on whether you have big legs? My legs are a medium size (they don't have massive muscles or lots of fat, but they are not skinny either).
mine are medium as well. the right inner tight touches the top tube while on the trainer so it is even surface while the other leg is far away from the top tube, very strange to have uneven legs :smile:

si_c

Guru
Might be worth posting a short video of you pedalling the bike from the top down whilst on the trainer, that way we can see what your legs, feet, cranks and pedals are doing.

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

Might be worth posting a short video of you pedalling the bike from the top down whilst on the trainer, that way we can see what your legs, feet, cranks and pedals are doing.
tried to upload a short video but it says doesnt support the extension

ColinJ

tried to upload a short video but it says doesnt support the extension
tried wmv, avi and mp4 all the extensions are not allowed!
You could stick it on one of the video hosting sites that CycleChat supports, such as YouTube? (Assumning that you don't mind the whole world looking at it!)

very strange to have uneven legs :smile:
My right leg is quite a bit longer than my left so I don't sit quite straight on the bike. I have a photo that someone took. Hang on... Here you go!

You can also get an idea of how close my feet get to the cranks and chainstays... (I pedal 'heels in/toes out')

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

You could stick it on one of the video hosting sites that CycleChat supports, such as YouTube? (Assumning that you don't mind the whole world looking at it!)

My right leg is quite a bit longer than my left so I don't sit quite straight on the bike. I have a photo that someone took. Hang on... Here you go!

View attachment 545490

You can also get an idea of how close my feet get to the cranks and chainstays... (I pedal 'heels in/toes out')
I was referring to myself about the uneven legs :smile: Did not know that you too have the same. I think that is why my feet keep touching the back pedals. does this affect your right hips, knees in the long run...??

ColinJ

I was referring to myself about the uneven legs :smile: Did not know that you too have the same. I think that is why my feet keep touching the back pedals. does this affect your right hips, knees in the long run...??
I get backache on long rides and I think the leg length difference is part of the reason for that.
not youtube :smile: any other platform that the site supports?
If you look in the Insert menu (three dots with a triangle pointing down), and click on Media, it gives you a very long list.

Sharky

Guru
Is there any lateral movement available with the cleats, to move the shoe further away from the frame?

Top Bottom