Right foot touching the top tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

Is there any lateral movement available with the cleats, to move the shoe further away from the frame?
dont know what you mean Sharky but I uploaded the picture of the shoes with the cleats

OP
OP
T

tdcadillac

I get backache on long rides and I think the leg length difference is part of the reason for that.

If you look in the Insert menu (three dots with a triangle pointing down), and click on Media, it gives you a very long list.
Thank you that was helpful to know what is available to upload videos

screenman

Legendary Member
You are not sitting straight on the bike, look up what Steve Hogg says about this by googling him, I bet you will find one arm is bent slightly more than the other and that one knee comes closer to the arm than the other. An Essax Shark saddle may help it does me.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
In my opinion your legs and feet should not be touching the bike at all. If they are it means your position is wrong.

The photograph you posted shows your feet are not straight on the pedals as the heel is turned in towards the bike. It also appears your knees are turned inward.

I would suggest you should concentrate on straightening both. I do mean concentrate, your body and mind will both be used to this as your natural position. It will take months to teach yourself to automatically use a new position. It's something you need to think about and check throughout your ride.

You mentioned having one leg longer than the other. You also mentioned pain in your hip. Your photograph suggests you pronate on the bike which may be why your legs appear to be leaning inward. I have one leg longer than the other, a tendency to pull to the right when cycling, hip pain and I pronate.

Do you wear a heel raiser and/or inserts during day to day life? If not I feel you should consider seeing a podiatrist about this, you may be given a heel raiser and shoe inserts. Try to find one with a good knowledge of bio-mechanics.

All the issues I had were solved in a week after seeing a podiatrist and starting to use both.

With uneven leg length your saddle height will be wrong for one leg and probably both. It will be a compromise attempting to make both legs comfortable. After I began to wear a heel raiser I had to increase my saddle height by 1.5cm. Doing so improved my overall position and riding but more importantly corrected the tendency for me to put to much pressure on the right down stroke which used to cause me to veer to the right.

Last edited:

Slioch

Guru
I have a similar problem with my right knee brushing the top tube because my right leg bows inwards slightly whilst my left leg is straight.
My solution was to rotate the position of the saddle clockwise very slightly. Not by much, just half a centimeter or so was enough to move the position of my right leg out a bit.
So when you look down the line of the saddle from the back of the bike, instead of the saddle being perfectly centered and in-line with the top tube, it is pointing to the right a bit.
The important thing though is comfort. It needs to still feel "natural" and not as if you are forcing the leg out and making pedalling feel unnatural, because you could end up with knee problems.

Sharky

Guru
dont know what you mean Sharky but I uploaded the picture of the shoes with the cleats
What I meant was - if you loosen the cleat bolts, can you slide the cleats from side to side? If fine tuning, could make a difference, but from the other comments, think there are other issues.

Good luck

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
IMO: Cleats right back and set straight but towards the inside of the shoe.

This will in effect, widen your stance and help bring your knee away from the TT.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The photograph you posted shows your feet are not straight on the pedals as the heel is turned in towards the bike. It also appears your knees are turned inward.

I would suggest you should concentrate on straightening both. I do mean concentrate, your body and mind will both be used to this as your natural position. It will take months to teach yourself to automatically use a new position. It's something you need to think about and check throughout your ride.
I don't agree with forcing your body to do what it doesn't do naturally. I pedal heels-in/toes-out but I also stand and walk that way!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don't agree with forcing your body to do what it doesn't do naturally. I pedal heels-in/toes-out but I also stand and walk that way!
I agree one shouldn't force the body to do anything but I'm also considering the number of cyclists one sees riding in a poor position.

The OP asks a question but doesn't give info on how he naturally walks. From what I can see in the video and photo his position could be improved but yes if he walks or stands with splayed feet this may not be the answer. From the little info we have I think the issue is related to leg length and probably a tendency to pronate.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I agree one shouldn't force the body to do anything but I'm also considering the number of cyclists one sees riding in a poor position.
I saw one rider with his saddle so ridiculously low that his knees were stuck way out as he pedalled and he was labouring on a very gentle gradient. I rode up to him and politely suggested that he would find it a lot easier if he raised his saddle by 2 or 3 inches. He told me to eff off and mind my own business! :eek:

I've given up giving unsolicited advice out on the road now... :laugh:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Good pedalling style has always been to almost brush the top tube with your knees...but your feet?! Maybe on a BMX.

Top Bottom