Right, This fat tax........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
no, the tax is only proposed for food deemed unhealthy, ie takeaways, fizzy pop etc. If you eat all types of food you will only be taxed on the unhealthy bit.

These foods that you refer to might be unhealthy but why also penalise responsible people who only eat them occasionally? The problem is the gut buckets and Mr Creostoes' who eat them twice a day 7 days a week who get extremely fat and unhealthy. Why don't they propose fat VAT police to target these individuals so when they submit a tax return they have to pay additional taxes if they are massively over weight. ............... Or in comparison with the responsibilites of publicans who commit an offence by selling alcohol to some one who is already clearly blind drunk, make it an offence for supermarkets, fast food places and restaurants to sell such foods to people who are clearly grossly overweight. These people will only be able to buy fruit and veg but as much as they like, lean meat, fish, eggs, skimmed milk and wholemeal bread. For drink there is tap water. The rest is out of bounds which includes all types of sugar loaded foods and drinks, processed foods which are predomintantly refined carbs, and those with a high fat content especially saturated fats. They should have distance recorders implanted in their necks with the requirement to walk or run 5 miles every day.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Ah, I see now.

Having not heard the story, I thought you meant a literal fat tax and was expecting a letter to pop through my door:

Dear Miss Tillyflop,

You are a bit of a porker. Give us £50.

Love

Lambeth Council.

Actually, I do think that a tax on fast food would help me and discourage me from binge-eating, much in the same way the smoking ban helped me quit the cigs.

Now if you could make sprouts taste nicer too, this would also help my case!

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
These foods that you refer to might be unhealthy but why also penalise responsible people who only eat them occasionally? The problem is the gut buckets and Mr Creostoes' who eat them twice a day 7 days a week who get extremely fat and unhealthy. Why don't they propose fat VAT police to target these individuals so when they submit a tax return they have to pay additional taxes if they are massively over weight. ............... Or in comparison with the responsibilites of publicans who commit an offence by selling alcohol to some one who is already clearly blind drunk, make it an offence for supermarkets, fast food places and restaurants to sell such foods to people who are clearly grossly overweight. These people will only be able to buy fruit and veg but as much as they like, lean meat, fish, eggs, skimmed milk and wholemeal bread. For drink there is tap water. The rest is out of bounds which includes all types of sugar loaded foods and drinks, processed foods which are predomintantly refined carbs, and those with a high fat content especially saturated fats. They should have distance recorders implanted in their necks with the requirement to walk or run 5 miles every day.

And if you're a perfect, healthy, slim person, when you go shopping you have to produce photographs of everyone you know and show them at the till when paying. This will prove to the cashier that you're not buying nasty food for any ugly horrible fatties and to be doubly sure you also have to give all your friends phone numbers and they should be rung up and if it takes more than 2 rings to answer they're obviously too disgustingly fat and slow to get to the phone and you will be denied your shopping .

BSRU

A Human Being
How about having door staff at fast food outlets stopping unhealthy overweight people going in :evil:

"I'm sorry mate I think you've had too much already":tongue:.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
See. I knew you were a soft southerner! :whistle: :tongue:

I live in the South.

I still say "OW MUCH???!!!" at least 6 times a day.

There is a bit at the beginning of Pies and Prejudice by Stuart Marconie which always tickles me (because it's true):

'My name in Stuart Maconie, and I am from the north of England. Some time ago, I was standing in my kitchen, rustling up a Sunday brunch for some very hungover, very northern mates who were 'down' for the weekend. One of the was helping me out and, recipe book in hand, asked: "Where are the sun-dried tomatoes?"

"They're behind the cappuchino maker," I replied.

Silence fell. We slowly met each other's gaze. We did not say anything. We did not need to. Each read the other's unspoken thought: we had become those kinds of people, the kind of people who had sun-dried tomatoes and cappuchino makers, the kind of people who did Sunday brunch. In other words: southerners.'

Top Bottom