Right, This fat tax........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Indeed not.

He may only come once a year - but when he does, he fills your stockings.

:eek: Said the bishop to the actress

What is this..."Carry On Cycle Chat"

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
What about people with eating disorders - you going to tax those with mental health issues?

Whilst I wasn't going to use this angle its a good point tbh

My issues are well documented & this would ( more so in the past ) cause me extra costs that I have zero control over

I've emailed Nick Clegg & Alan Lansley - can't get Ol'Daves email yet :smile:

I'll keep you updated on if they pay any attention to me lol

GTTTM

I agree, but with £3 in your pocket most people will go to the take away, not the green grocers. If the cost of a take away was £5 some people would think twice maybe.

Where are you living that you can get a take away for £3??????

if I have £3 in my pocket............................... it's beans on toast for dinner
biggrin.gif

PBancroft

Part of me thinks this is a great idea. If you want to eat unhealthily surely you should put more in to help pay for your choice of lifestyle, as with alcohol and cigarettes.

But then part of me wonders where this will lead. Should there be a poor tax? After all, if people aren't giving as much to economic society as others, shouldn't this be balanced somehow...
whistling.gif

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Where are you living that you can get a take away for £3??????

if I have £3 in my pocket............................... it's beans on toast for dinner
biggrin.gif

probably in the north. burger & chips £3 in most places*, £3.20 if it's a cheese burger and Mamma Mia do burger, chips and can o'pop for 2.50

*in lancaster

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
probably in the north. burger & chips £3 in most places*, £3.20 if it's a cheese burger and Mamma Mia do burger, chips and can o'pop for 2.50

*in lancaster

I live in London, battered sausage and chips is £2.90 in the chippy.

Crankarm

Guru
Whilst I wasn't going to use this angle its a good point tbh

My issues are well documented & this would ( more so in the past ) cause me extra costs that I have zero control over

I've emailed Nick Clegg & Alan Lansley - can't get Ol'Daves email yet :smile:

I'll keep you updated on if they pay any attention to me lol

Surely the whole point of this is to moderate people's weight through choices they make about their nutrition? It is not only what people eat but HOW MUCH. So a tax on food itself will penalise those who manage to eat all types of food but in moderation. Any tax regime should target an individuals weight. For a specific height there should be an acceptable weight with a reasonable window of acceptance. Those outside the weight window should be taxed. Why should I and you who like to endulge occasionally and who manage our weight have to pay more for certain types of food because a lot of gluttons stuffed their faces so certain foods are now subject to additional tax? This is totally mad and unfair. Make fat people do what Gaz has done. These people really have to want to lose weight otherwise it is merely going to increase their food bill and tax for the government. The innocent few who remain that are are not obese suffer for the excesses of the many.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
So a tax on food itself will penalise those who manage to eat all types of food but in moderation.

no, the tax is only proposed for food deemed unhealthy, ie takeaways, fizzy pop etc. If you eat all types of food you will only be taxed on the unhealthy bit.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I am with Crankarm on this.

I used to stuff my face with crap (not actual crap, you understand!) until I gave myself a hard stare (one that Paddington Bear would be proud of) and decided to change my diet. What actually changed was that I started valuing myself as a person so I wanted to look after myself.

The result is that I do occasionally eat junk food, but only occasionally, and only in moderation - the point is that every day I cycle past several kebab shops, countless curry and chinese takeaways, several maccy d's and a few KFCs and Buggery Kings. That I choose not to eat in any of them is not something that can be shoe-horned into a "metric" for the purposes of taxation.

A "fat tax" would do nothing more than irritate those of us who are actually doing what the gov't wants us to do! (which is to eat normally and in moderation!)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't quite understand what the purpose of this fat tax might be. Those of a "control-freaky" disposition bang on about the economic cost of smoking and drinking, but their "tax take versus cost" arguments always seem to have a nifty "hidden cost" component to balance the books in favour of their bossy stance. On an actuarial basis, unhealthy lifestyles might be a positive economic benefit to the country as a whole.

Leave the peeps alone.

Stephenite

Membå
A bit left field.. but wouldn't it be smart if supermarkets led a campaign to pay the VAT themselves on 'so-called' healthy food like fresh veg n' that.

Therefore, lowering the prices on healthy nosh, enticing people into the shop to buy a few greens, and stinging them with an extra penny on their deep fried, dogshit pizza or whatever you lot eat these days.

Less tax on real food. Not more tax on shite.

Don't swallow it folks.

Crankarm

Guru
A bit left field.. but wouldn't it be smart if supermarkets led a campaign to pay the VAT themselves on 'so-called' healthy food like fresh veg n' that.

Therefore, lowering the prices on healthy nosh, enticing people into the shop to buy a few greens, and stinging them with an extra penny on their deep fried, dogshit pizza or whatever you lot eat these days.

Less tax on real food. Not more tax on shite.

Don't swallow it folks.

I didn't think there was VAT on food. But will no doubt be proved wrong. Anyway this is a Danish scheme, the country, not for bacon ....................

Top Bottom