Rigid Forks for a touring mtb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeitup

Veteran
The chances of me getting a new/second hand touring bike in the next coupla years is pretty slim so I am looking at customising my mtb. I have fitted marathon tyres (26x1.5), a rear rack and am looking at changing the forks.
I currently have a Carrera Fury that I use for commuting and CTC rides. I am looking at getting rigid forks to replace the Tora's currently on it.
My problem is I need a front fork with disc mounts and preferably bosses for a low rider but am having no luck.

any suggestions?

It's theoretically possible to have either disc mounts or bosses brazed onto a rigid steel fork. Possibly try planet-X?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I bought some from Surly which have disk mounts and are the correct length to replace suspension forks.

The lowrider mounts are less important as I prefer the model that clamps to the fork leg and has a brace between each of the side racks. Even on my touring bike with lowrider bosses!

I think if you are mounting low riders and a disk brake you will need to be creative anyway!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Kirstie said:
It's theoretically possible to have either disc mounts or bosses brazed onto a rigid steel fork. Possibly try planet-X?

It's also theoretically expensive :ohmy:

Unless the forks start off in an unpainted state there will be surface preparation before the brazing takes place plus subsequent total pain removal and a respray.

Disc brakes add a complication for mounting low riders.

It might be worth a look at the Carradice web site to look at the range of racks that accommodate disc brake fittings. They are not particularly cheap.

simoncc

Do you really need a front disc brake? Why not just get a cheap set of MTB forks and fit a V brake?

Top Bottom