Rim tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
It should tear pretty cleanly along its length. I use it whole in my MTB rims but my new wheels are for the Dawes Kingpin, so I'll have to work out what width I need in there.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I thought about insulating tape but it does stretch so wondered if, over time, it might depress into the spoke holes. Seems not (or if it does it has no negative effect).
As we all know, it stretches and all rim tape depresses into the 'spoke holes', weak insulating tape more so. Key is whether, in time it deforms to the point of fracture/cut on a sharper edge (than the rest) and results in a risk to the tube. Hence why adopters use two layers of tape to mitigate that risk ("a few layers" in the case of @tyred :notworthy: ). I'd just advocate a decent plastic rim tape band or my LBS's rim tape from a big (?30m) roll, applied in a single layer. As with many things bicycle there's merit in renewing said tape regularly (but not frequently - maybe every 10,000km?) if not sooner because it's had to be ripped off to access a nipple.

Last edited:

ChrisEyles

Guru
I've also used old inner tubes & electrical tape - don't think I've ever bought any proper rim tape!

If using inner tubes I find you need to cut the length a smidge short and stretch it into place so that it stays where you want it to be as you fit the tyre/tube. I punch a hole at either end of the strip I cut for the new tube valve to slot through, which holds it all in place.

Never had a problem with electrical tape giving up over a spoke hole, though there is usually a visible depression over them.

Somehow I personally didn't get on with duct tape when I tried it, I prefer something with a little stretch to it.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I only ever replace rim tape when I replace the rim, so infrequently. I have small stock of plastic & cloth tapes; can't remember when I last bought any.

Top Bottom