Rim Wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
......I've never worn out a rim either, and I mostly use cheap charlie wheels. Must take a lot of mileage and hard braking to need rim replacement. My preference is V-brakes, properly set up they are very efficient, and I like to keep things simple......

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Rim wear at low mileage (<10,000) is a function of winter commuting, particularly if on back roads or muddy tracks. I do about 5,000 miles a year commuting, rims last about two winters generally.

I would be amazed to find anyone with rims lasting significantly longer with that sort of usage; on the other hand I've never had to change a rim on my summer bike (which actually will generally do a lot more braking, as the miles on it are much hillier).

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Rim wear at low mileage (<10,000) is a function of winter commuting, particularly if on back roads or muddy tracks. I do about 5,000 miles a year commuting, rims last about two winters generally.

I would be amazed to find anyone with rims lasting significantly longer with that sort of usage; on the other hand I've never had to change a rim on my summer bike (which actually will generally do a lot more braking, as the miles on it are much hillier).
That accords with the OP. I'm not mad I tell ya :wacko:

I agree. Anyone who says they never wear out rims are just, inadvertently saying, that they never ride in wet conditions. You can of course find a route that never requires braking at all until you arrive back at your front door, but that's silly.

My aunt Edna has a 40-year old bike that's still on the same brake pads, rims and chain. 40 Years!

OK, OK, the bike has been hanging in the garage for 40 years.

presta

Guru
??? I've been using them for years, I've had no problems with them in the wet
I use Shimano M55/T on the front. Koolstop are better in the dry, but worse in the wet, and overshooting give way lines when the brakes are wet was a no no for me. The clue is marked on them: "Shimano M55/T Wet & Dry". The difference between wet and dry performance of Koolstop is so large I'm surprised they meet British Standard 4210-2 as they claim.

M55/T are very abrasive, but I'm getting 20,000 - 28,000 miles out of my rims, so I'm happy with that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I use Shimano M55/T on the front. Koolstop are better in the dry, but worse in the wet, and overshooting give way lines when the brakes are wet was a no no for me. The clue is marked on them: "Shimano M55/T Wet & Dry". The difference between wet and dry performance of Koolstop is so large I'm surprised they meet British Standard 4210-2 as they claim.

M55/T are very abrasive, but I'm getting 20,000 - 28,000 miles out of my rims, so I'm happy with that.

Thats not a problem I've had with them, I've not noticed there being much performance difference between wet and dry.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Isn't there two sorts of Koolstop? One for wet and one for dry? Or did I dream that? :scratch:

D

Deleted member 1258

Isn't there two sorts of Koolstop? One for wet and one for dry? Or did I dream that? :scratch:

I can't remember of the top of my head but I think there used to be two colours of them plus a dual compound one, if I remember correctly there were the salmons which were all weather, the grey which was for the dry and the dual which was supposed to be the best of both

D

Deleted member 1258

I can't remember of the top of my head but I think there used to be two colours of them plus a dual compound one, if I remember correctly there were the salmons which were all weather, the grey which was for the dry and the dual which was supposed to be the best of both

SJS has both the grey and the salmon in stock, grey for normal and salmon for wet and muddy.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-blocks/kool-stop-continental-brake-blocks-grey/

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-blocks/kool-stop-continental-brake-blocks-salmon/

I use the salmon ones same as in the second link

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ife never worn a rim out, and I'm far heavier than average. My oldest bike is 40 and the Wolber rims on that are actually very good. It doesn't help that too many riders comfort-brake to compensate for a fundamental lack of control skill in the same manner most car drivers do.
I find it comforting not to die or suffer from life-changing injuries! :whistle:

Anyone who says they never wear out rims are just, inadvertently saying, that they never ride in wet conditions. You can of course find a route that never requires braking at all until you arrive back at your front door, but that's silly.

Or they live in a flat area, or their mileage is shared between lots of different bikes.
When I'm touring in the Lakes/Dales/Peak etc., I notice I'm adjusting the brakes much more often than at home in Essex.
Precisely!

If Drago were to spend a winter riding on our roads then he would wear start wearing rims out...

Or die! :eek:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'm seeing very low wear with a Ryde Chrina and Kool-Stop salmon pads. Some pads are too soft and embed grit and then chips from the rim. They destroy rims very fast. Kool-Stop salmons don't embed anything.

I'm getting through a set of pads every year on the front. I don't like a rear brake on a fixie.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I'm seeing very low wear with a Ryde Chrina and Kool-Stop salmon pads. Some pads are too soft and embed grit and then chips from the rim. They destroy rims very fast. Kool-Stop salmons don't embed anything.

I'm getting through a set of pads every year on the front. I don't like a rear brake on a fixie.
I guess a fair bit of your braking is by anticipation and leg use. That's going to help :thumbsup:

Top Bottom