Rinsten Spring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looks completely awful and useless. It may not be but most modern frames, seatposts and saddles are very good at lessening road vibratios anyway.

S-Express

Looks like someone re-inventing the Allsop Softride concept (ie, a saddle on a suspension beam). Meanwhile, everyone else just runs wider tyres at lower pressure.

Globalti

Legendary Member
An ugly solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. Even Specialized CG-R seatpost is more elegant than that and at least you can ride it knowing it won't fatigue and snap, which is as inevitable as the cows coming home with a bent-stressed length of metal.

Suspension seatposts have been tried but they get gummed up with gritty water and stick. Even a beam has been tried: Google Softride beam. Saddles with springs are still in use but they weigh a ton. I'll stick with padded shorts, a quality saddle and an eye for potholes.

A crock of springs.

Taking in account all the above true posts, it will nevertheless sell. There's a whole class of cyclists out there that will buy it. All the top saddle companies have plush model in its lineup, with rubber dampers, deep upholstery and other "comfort features". They sell.

This customer hasn't even heard of road vibrations yet. They just see SUSPENSION.

If I had a bike shop, I'll stock three of these.

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
Here's some more "New" 1800's technology.

An 1888 Whippet, look at the saddle spring.
Full-Suspension-14.jpg

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/history/1890s-cycling/1898-cycle-saddles-the-anatomical-saddle/
1890's saddles.
1898_Bicycle_saddles_2.jpg

editorial%20re%20brooks%20spring.jpg

vigors_pneumatic_anatomical_saddle.jpg

pattisson_hygienic_anatomical_saddle.jpg

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I find a traditional slung leather saddle to be pretty good at absorbing road shocks and vibration.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you want an armchair ride, stay in your bloody armchair.

Otherwise, man up.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I would imagine that it would take a lot of the power out of pedalling. Almost like Tigger, moving forward on a series of bounces as the downstroke springs the buttocks upward!

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
IDK how if it would feel like this to use, but I imagine it would bounce you upwards and slightly forwards, as well as rocking you from side to side too - I think I'd find that a bit too disconcerting bouncing around like that.

Top Bottom