Rinsten Spring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
IDK how if it would feel like this to use, but I imagine it would bounce you upwards and slightly forwards, as well as rocking you from side to side too - I think I'd find that a bit too disconcerting bouncing around like that.

That's probably why the 1888 Whippet's seat didn't stand the test of time, too much bouncing about, but I applaud people who are trying to invent "new" things...........
full-suspension-14-jpg.343595.jpg

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
I'm not sure how many of the above posts are in jest. I know it's cool to hate and all that but...really?

and at least you can ride it knowing it won't fatigue and snap, which is as inevitable as the cows coming home with a bent-stressed length of metal.

This is nonsense. Metal fatigue is not inevitable. Does anyone worry about the suspension springs failing in their car?

Suspension seatposts have been tried but they get gummed up with gritty water and stick.

Clearly not an issue in this case.

If you want an armchair ride, stay in your bloody armchair.

Otherwise, man up.

Really? By that logic we should all be riding solid tyred bikes with gas-pipe frames. You might as well tell people to man up for sitting in a chair while using a computer instead of holding an awkward half-squat.

I'm not saying this looks like an essential cycling accessory but it's simple, not too expensive and might fix a problem some people have. I like that you can adjust the spring tension easily and imagine you might be able to set it stiff enough not to bob while still absorbing bad bumps.

There are plenty more ridiculous inventions on kick-starter to take the piss out of if you wish.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Really? By that logic we should all be riding solid tyred bikes with gas-pipe frames. You might as well tell people to man up for sitting in a chair while using a computer instead of holding an awkward half-squat.
Get your position sorted correctly, use a decent saddle that suits your bum, use good quality tyres and tubes and the comfort bit will take care of itself.

If you need a sprung saddle one or more of the above are wrong.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Agreed. It's about the aesthetics of bikes and in my mind that boingy spring is not aesthetic. The right shape of saddle combined with padded shorts and some good quality tyres at the right pressure for your weight will give you a smooth enough ride.

Alan O

Über Member
The first thing that sprung to my mind (sprung, geddit?) is that MTB suspension is low down between the frame and the wheels for a good reason. I got my first bike with suspension (a hardtail) only a few months ago, and I really do like it - and if I did more serious MTB riding I could see myself wanting a full-suspension bike.

But I can't help thinking that the rigidity of the saddle/pedals/bars triangle is important for comfort and efficiency - when I go over bumps on my MTB, a big strength of its fork suspension is that it doesn't alter that spacial relationship and doesn't affect my balance in the way that I thought it might.

Something that moved my hands about relative to my bum and feet, or my feet relative to my bum and hands... or, in this case, moved my bum around relative to my hands and feet, well, I think I'd find that an unbalancing and disturbing experience. The decoupling needs to be between the wheels and the frame.

Having said that, I think there are some people who would benefit from this saddle spring thing - for example, people who aren't keen cyclists, but who use their bikes to ride a mile or two to school, work, shops, etc. I remember a colleague who cycled to work each day (only about 2 miles each way), and she had a very upright bike with a big springy saddle positioned relatively low, and rode with her knees bent. I spoke to her about her riding style, and she said it was comfortable for her for her short daily journeys - and I can't argue with that. I can't help thinking she'd like a Rinsten spring, and that a lot of others would too.

It's not for me (and not for most folk who use this forum, it seems), but I think it could have a market and I wish them well.

Alan

Top Bottom