RIP Amy Winehouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I could have sworn that this thread was about paying respect to the memory of Amy Winehouse.
sad.gif

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I could have sworn that this thread was about paying respect to the memory of Amy Winehouse.
sad.gif

:thumbsup: but you know what forum's are like. Especially when people steam in with comments such as "good riddance", "I've no sympathy" or "other people died yesterday too... do you care!"

Bluebell72

I feel very sad, I loved Amy's music - her singing was so soulful yet raw, and she brought a different dimension to some well-loved older music too. I wish I had been able to see her sing at a gig.

A few weeks ago I was reading about how she'd bombed on stage in Serbia, stumbling around, incoherently attempting to sing but forgetting the words to her songs, and my thoughts then were that soon, she would die - and I felt bad for her, that there was something or things in her life that made her want or need to be off her face all the time.
Some of the papers today report that she'd bought cocaine, ketamine and ecstasy the night before her death, and while she could 'do coke till the cows come home' one bad E tablet killed her. A sad indictment.

A young woman is dead, and I feel the world is a lesser place. I always hoped she'd sort herself out and make some more amazing music.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
So it was everyone else's fault and you have no culpability whatsoever? You are right that I have never been an addict, nor will I ever be an addict, I would never do that to myself or the people around me.

Wow you are a lucky person to know your future. You are also as ignorant of the facts as you can be. My fault was taking my first drink. My body did the rest. I blame no-one else.

Wow you are a lucky person to know your future. You are also as ignorant of the facts as you can be. My fault was taking my first drink. My body did the rest. I blame no-one else.

I know myself and can control myself, I'm sorry that you do not/cannot, they say it could be genetic, however people ultimately can and do overcome it if they really want to and have the resources to do so. It seems Miss Winehouse did rehab to avoid jail rather than get clean, she could have had a great life with the talent she had, she was far to young to die for any reason, but, she did it to herself. A friend of mine died not that long ago from alcohol abuse, he got depressed over a myriad of things and started drinking heavily, we thought he was off the rails but would get back on track, he didn't, but the alcohol did not kill him, he killed himself with alcohol. He was a great fellow and sadly missed by all his friends but that cannot change the circumstances of his death.

I have been using pain killers for 12 years by the way and will use them for the rest of life in all likelyhood, if I was going to get addicted to something it would be that, but I consciously avoid taking them and chop and change between types to avoid any dependency, even though it is unlikely I would become dependent as it does not seem to be in my nature to become addicted to anything. I once had a seven year gap in between beers for no reason other than I did not feel like having one at any point that the opportunity arose, so even in a pub with friends I would be drinking soft drinks, it is perfectly easy and acceptable to say "no thanks" in my experience.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I know myself and can control myself, I'm sorry that you do not/cannot, they say it could be genetic, however people ultimately can and do overcome it if they really want to and have the resources to do so. It seems Miss Winehouse did rehab to avoid jail rather than get clean, she could have had a great life with the talent she had, she was far to young to die for any reason, but, she did it to herself. A friend of mine died not that long ago from alcohol abuse, he got depressed over a myriad of things and started drinking heavily, we thought he was off the rails but would get back on track, he didn't, but the alcohol did not kill him, he killed himself with alcohol. He was a great fellow and sadly missed by all his friends but that cannot change the circumstances of his death.

I have been using pain killers for 12 years by the way and will use them for the rest of life in all likelyhood, if I was going to get addicted to something it would be that, but I consciously avoid taking them and chop and change between types to avoid any dependency, even though it is unlikely I would become dependent as it does not seem to be in my nature to become addicted to anything. I once had a seven year gap in between beers for no reason other than I did not feel like having one at any point that the opportunity arose, so even in a pub with friends I would drinking soft drinks, it is perfectly easy and acceptable to say "no thanks" in my experience.

Then you do not (as you pointed out) has the genetic addiction trigger. Yo are not so much making a concious effort not to become addicted but rather you body is not asking you to.

I did not want to become an alcoholic. I didn't choose it. I didn't think I was until I needed to stop drinking. Your views on addicts are very misinformed sadly. People do not kill themselves with alcohol intentionally in the same way that a flawed car engine does not choose to blow up.
Please choose not to make ignorant comments on a subject you know nothing about.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
There's some evidence that alcoholics get a completely different kind of "high" to non-alchoholics. This suggests that the disposition to alcoholism is indeed genetic. I cheerfully drink wine and beer but most definitely do not enjoy the state of drunkenness. Therefore it's easy for me to not become an alcoholic.

I can try to imagine but will never in a month of Sundays know, what the kick of alcohol feels like for an alcoholic. Therefore those who do manage to dry out have my sincere respect.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
There's some evidence that alcoholics get a completely different kind of "high" to non-alchoholics. This suggests that the disposition to alcoholism is indeed genetic. I cheerfully drink wine and beer but most definitely do not enjoy the state of drunkenness. Therefore it's easy for me to not become an alcoholic.

I can try to imagine but will never in a month of Sundays know, what the kick of alcohol feels like for an alcoholic. Therefore those who do manage to dry out have my sincere respect.

Try and imagine being held in the arms of the Man / Woman you love and at the same time bleeding to death. It feels rather like that.

Then you do not (as you pointed out) has the genetic addiction trigger. Yo are not so much making a concious effort not to become addicted but rather you body is not asking you to.

I did not want to become an alcoholic. I didn't choose it. I didn't think I was until I needed to stop drinking. Your views on addicts are very misinformed sadly. People do not kill themselves with alcohol intentionally in the same way that a flawed car engine does not choose to blow up.
Please choose not to make ignorant comments on a subject you know nothing about.

You do understand this is a public forum don't you?

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
sad.gif

You're right. And we as cyclists should know how people use cycling tragedies as a ramp to launch attacks on cycling and cyclists.

Some of the people on here have done the very same to Amy. They should use a little empathy imo.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
You're right. And we as cyclists should know how people use cycling tragedies as a ramp to launch attacks on cycling and cyclists.

Some of the people on here have done the very same to Amy. They should use a little empathy imo.

I feel that a discussion about addiction is a natural by-product of such a thread. The hatred I do not get.:angry:

BTW, I don't think my friend killed himself with alcohol intentionally, but he did kill himself with alcohol. As for your body asking you do do things, your body is not a separate person to your consciousness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom