RIP Chick Corea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SheilaH

I love his stuff from the 70s, and it lives on in samples in drum and bass. All started to go horribly wrong in the 80s when he went full musak. I have to say that that video exemplifies another facet of 80s awfulness...overplaying. Its going to happen if you employ Vinnie Colaiuta, because the track will become all about him showing off his technical ability at the expense of musicality. The performative smoking of the cigarette etc. Knob. Ditto Pattitucci.

Still, Chick Corea and Return to Forever, produced some of my favourite music ever.

OP
OP
MntnMan62

MntnMan62

Über Member
I love his stuff from the 70s, and it lives on in samples in drum and bass. All started to go horribly wrong in the 80s when he went full musak. I have to say that that video exemplifies another facet of 80s awfulness...overplaying. Its going to happen if you employ Vinnie Colaiuta, because the track will become all about him showing off his technical ability at the expense of musicality. The performative smoking of the cigarette etc. Knob. Ditto Pattitucci.

Still, Chick Corea and Return to Forever, produced some of my favourite music ever.

Well, Chick liked their contributions to his music since he employed both of them repeatedly over the years. Nice to bash the guy when he's not around to respond. Class act.

SheilaH

Oh do bore off. Self-appointed guardian of the memory of Chick Corea.

Since when is saying "Chick Corea and Return to Forever, produced some of my favourite music ever" bashing. It is about the greatest musical compliment you can pay. Not everything he created was good, though. Some of it was shite. That's life.

OP
OP
MntnMan62

MntnMan62

Über Member
Oh do bore off. Self-appointed guardian of the memory of Chick Corea.

Since when is saying "Chick Corea and Return to Forever, produced some of my favourite music ever" bashing. It is about the greatest musical compliment you can pay. Not everything he created was good, though. Some of it was shite. That's life.

Honoring the life of Chick Corea doesn't mean saying that "everything went horribly wrong" in the 80's and his bands are guilty of "overplaying". That may be your view but it is certainly not everyone's view and most likely the view of the minority. But when you honor someone you don't have to point out what you find to be negative and say some of his stuff was "shyte". Honoring someone is to point out the positives and let the negatives remain unmentioned for another time. Yes, you can bore off as you say since you clearly think that you are trhe self appointed guardian of bashing people who have passed. Face it. You clearly have some chip on your shoulder that prevented you from doing the right thing here. I'm sure people will have no problem chiming in with the negatives of your existence when you are gone. But then, that's life.

SheilaH

Everyone regrets what they did in the second half of the 80s, mate. Everyone. It was half a decade that taste forgot. Him included.

This is a British cycling forum, pal. Chick, his friends or his family won't be reading it anytime soon, and even if they did who is to say they would disagree.

You can get back to your Kenny G albums now .

OP
OP
MntnMan62

MntnMan62

Über Member
Everyone regrets what they did in the second half of the 80s, mate. Everyone. It was half a decade that taste forgot. Him included.

This is a British cycling forum, pal. Chick, his friends or his family won't be reading it anytime soon, and even if they did who is to say they would disagree.

You can get back to your Kenny G albums now .

You're funny. I can't stand Kenny G. Elevator music. And no, EVERYONE DOESN'T regret what they did in the 80's. I love it when people overgeneralize when casting aspersions at people. It usually means they are bitter abou their own failings in life. It's pretty obvious where yours lie.

OP
OP
MntnMan62

MntnMan62

Über Member
Yes. But he also produced this...

use this link instead...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_HbWc2Sml0

and this...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rylmrOXsqnI

...in which John Pattitucci cements the reputation of bass players as dorks, and Dave Weckl's mullet should have been enough to secure a conviction.

It's like watching the outtakes of a rejected Miami Vice soundtrack.

So what? Then according to you everything someone puts out has to be masterful and perfect? I don't LOVE everything he's done. But I sure won't bash him for his less than stellar stuff in a thread honoring his passing. So I suppose you're proud of producing this in the 80's?

Nd9GcSsv1GqD9BeWfqQzQo2vVMbSIXrkJ8jfBBgnA&usqp=CAU.jpg
Image result for pile of shit

Top Bottom