RIP Freddie Starr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm not rejoicing, I think you need to recalibrate your prejudices.

Freddie Starr was a talentless nobber, winging it without a script (and don't give me that "Oh, but it was so funny when he dressed up as Hitler" spiel). I'm glad the hamster got its revenge.

Saying you are glad he's dead sounds like rejoicing to me.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Freddie was of his time like many comedians, He had his time. Sorry to see him go , but unfortunately the allegations will always remain.

D

Deleted member 26715

I find this all very strange, if the allegations against him were true which according to the above link the judge said they were why was he never prosecuted? I would have thought with all the focus on Yewtree, Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris, Cliff Richard (not charged) that low hanging fruit of of a proven offender like Freddy Starr would have been snapped up.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I find this all very strange, if the allegations against him were true which according to the above link the judge said they were why was he never prosecuted? I would have thought with all the focus on Yewtree, Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris, Cliff Richard (not charged) that low hanging fruit of of a proven offender like Freddy Starr would have been snapped up.
I find it very strange that people continue to find it very strange. He tried to silence and discredit his victim, as most abusers do, failed, and in the process confirmed himself as an abuser.

lane

Veteran

Criminal court beyond reasonable doubt - civil court balance of probabilities - different burden of proof.

D

Deleted member 26715

I find it very strange that people continue to find it very strange. He tried to silence and discredit his victim, as most abusers do, failed, and in the process confirmed himself as an abuser.
Why was he not prosecuted, I presumed you were there to witness the event?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
For the same well-understood catalogue of reasons that most other sexual abusers are never prosecuted. Why on earth would you presume that? There's a handy link upthread which gives all the information you need in order to understand it.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I don’t think the last bit is necessary.

For what it’s worth this is the BBC summary of why he wasn’t prosecuted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27294888

13 allegations. The CPS felt one stood a good chance of conviction. Time lapse makes things difficult. The acts took place in 1970s. Don’t forget, he threatened one victim with a defamation case. When it came to court he was shown up as the nasty abuser that he was by the judge who said the victim was telling the truth.

If you want another character reference, this interview with his daughter is worth reading:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/freddie-starr-daughter-reveals-truth-16262121

Please can we acknowledge what a despicable person he was? Sex abuse and physical abuse of young vulnerable people is appalling. I know.

D

Deleted member 26715

I don’t think the last bit is necessary.
Maybe not, but at least your link provides some reference, I was not aware of any of this, I don't follow 'celebrity news' & found it difficult or 'strange' why if there was unequivocal proof he wasn't prosecuted. It still doesn't answer my questions but presumably somebody in the CPS felt or was advised to feel that it wouldn't be successful.

Please can we acknowledge what a despicable person he was? Sex abuse and physical abuse of young vulnerable people is appalling. I know
Sure, can you acknowledge his own upbringing played a major part in the person he became, his daughter does. Where exactly do we start this story and where do we actually point the finger of blame.

Also, people are quite capable of holding contradictory views at the same time. Life is complex, people are complex, the reasons life's complex is complex. Beating a single drum and using it too browbeat others to your view often achieves the opposite affect, even if you're right, another complexity of life.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Sure, can you acknowledge his own upbringing played a major part in the person he became, his daughter does. Where exactly do we start this story and where do we actually point the finger of blame.

Also, people are quite capable of holding contradictory views at the same time. Life is complex, people are complex, the reasons life's complex is complex. Beating a single drum and using it too browbeat others to your view often achieves the opposite affect, even if you're right, another complexity of life.
I'm not making any profound statements about the causes or results of abuse. All I'm saying is that before we valorise someone like Freddie Starr we should think about the entirety of his life. Being funny (and some would question that) does not justify ruining a young woman's life. I always found it odd when people I worked with in the East End said - those Krays were gents and they loved their mother, while conveniently forgetting the murder, torture, extortion etc.

My point is simple: let's judge people for their entirety and not conveniently forget the bits we'd rather had not happened.

I'm not making any profound statements about the causes or results of abuse. All I'm saying is that before we valorise someone like Freddie Starr we should think about the entirety of his life. Being funny (and some would question that) does not justify ruining a young woman's life. I always found it odd when people I worked with in the East End - those Krays were gents and they loved their mother, while conveniently forgetting the murder, torture, extortion etc.

My point is simple: let's judge people for their entirety and not conveniently forget the bits we'd rather had not happened.
Honestly, I think most of the time people get it. They may not say it but they get it. I chose not to put down my own thoughts on him but just kept it pretty bland and put up a video with a plus, he could sing, like that excuses everything else, of course it doesn't. It's all pretty farking tragic.

For those of us brought up in the 70's here's a wee reminder of the good times.... oh wait....

Top Bottom