Rip it up - A history of Scottish pop music.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

He was a folk singer before he became a raconteur/comedian

View: https://youtu.be/pICX9ioIn0c

Thanks for posting that. There are Scottish, English, German, Dutch and Americans out there now who are well acquainted with the first verse and half the chorus of this song.
On my first ever cycle tour on my newly acquired flood damaged bike up the Hebrides en route to the Hebridean Celtic music festival I stayed in hostels.
On arriving at a very full Gatliff Berneray hostel I met up with a few others of the above nationalities that were heading in the same direction. At night an impromptu ceilidh developed. I had my travelling tin whistle, someone else had a guitar. There were no other instruments so the hostel spoons, pots and pans and anything else that could make a noise was put to use and if there were were words to tunes there was singing as well. One person was spotted to be wearing wellies which led to some bright spark starting to sing this song. The only thing was nobody could get past 'wellies they are wonderful wellies they are swell, cos they keep oot the water and they keep in the smell' so it was la la or humming until the end of the chorus and then back to the first verse about 20 times.
All the way through Harris and into Lewis the tune was going through my head partly because I was heading into the wind and the tune fitted my cadence. The missing part of the chorus was bugging me. How pleased was I to find a music shop in Stornoway (now gone) that had the very CD with this song on it. I begged for it to be played and when I heard the words 'and when you're in a room you can always tell when some b****r takes aff his wellies' the relief was immense.
Happy days.:smile:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Surely no discussion of Scottish music on a cycling forum would be complete without mention of The Delgados and their albums Domestiques and Peloton.

A fantastic band who ran a great record label as Chemikal Underground. In fact, there was loads of great Scottish indie in the mid to late 90s. If you're feeling sinister by Belle & Sebastian is probably the greatest album ever committed to vinyl.

But they do bloody love that awful Proclaimers song...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for posting that. There are Scottish, English, German, Dutch and Americans out there now who are well acquainted with the first verse and half the chorus of this song.
On my first ever cycle tour on my newly acquired flood damaged bike up the Hebrides en route to the Hebridean Celtic music festival I stayed in hostels.
On arriving at a very full Gatliff Berneray hostel I met up with a few others of the above nationalities that were heading in the same direction. At night an impromptu ceilidh developed. I had my travelling tin whistle, someone else had a guitar. There were no other instruments so the hostel spoons, pots and pans and anything else that could make a noise was put to use and if there were were words to tunes there was singing as well. One person was spotted to be wearing wellies which led to some bright spark starting to sing this song. The only thing was nobody could get past 'wellies they are wonderful wellies they are swell, cos they keep oot the water and they keep in the smell' so it was la la or humming until the end of the chorus and then back to the first verse about 20 times.
All the way through Harris and into Lewis the tune was going through my head partly because I was heading into the wind and the tune fitted my cadence. The missing part of the chorus was bugging me. How pleased was I to find a music shop in Stornoway (now gone) that had the very CD with this song on it. I begged for it to be played and when I heard the words 'and when you're in a room you can always tell when some b****r takes aff his wellies' the relief was immense.
Happy days.:smile:
Isn't it and when you're sitting in a room............................................. or is my memory playing tricks.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
My wife's friend's father was the drummer for Middle of the Road. He went on to hit the dizzy heights of playing in the Jimmy Shand band

Top Bottom