RIP Murray Walker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
RIP, he gave millions a lot of joy. And who can forget perhaps his greatest line of commentary:

'Unless I'm very much mistaken... I AM very much mistaken!!!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
“Catching is one thing, passing is another” RIP Sir

I don't often get upset by celebrity passings, but this one has hit me hard. It's not coincidental that I stopped watching a couple of years after he retired. His enthusiasm was incredibly infectious, and his ability to spin compelling narratives is what made it watchable.

I couldn't put a number on how many hours I've spent listening to his commentary.

Can't complain about the innings and the career and the massive admiration people had for him, but still...

Sad to see, but that's a good innings nonetheless.

Funny though, he's not my "voice of motorsport", as I didn't have a telly until I was 13, so I used to listen to Simon Taylor's F1 commentary on Radio 2 back in the day... An equally distinctive voice, but then when I *did* get a telly, I couldn't help be entertained by Murray's "pants on fire" commentary style.

And then there were the off-the-record stories about Murray and a racing driver's crackpot uncle that filtered my way via private channels. They still make me giggle, even after all these years...

Top Bottom