RIP Murray Walker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Just seen this on the BBC.
For those of a certain generation, he was the voice of motorsport, whether the glamour and expense of F1, or Minis belting around a motor cross circuit.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
RIP, he gave millions a lot of joy. And who can forget perhaps his greatest line of commentary:

'Unless I'm very much mistaken... I AM very much mistaken!!!
Great material for Private Eye’s Coleman Ball column. Some more wonderful examples were:
"We've had cars going off left, right and centre", "do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough?", and "with half of the race gone, there is half of the race still to go".

"There's nothing wrong with the car except it's in fire"

"The lead car is unique except for the car behind it which is identical"

"He can't decide whether to leave his visor half open or half closed".

"There are seven winners of the Monaco Grand Prix on the starting line today and four of them are Michael Schumacher".

"Now we have exactly the same situation as we had as at the beginning of the race only exactly opposite".

He was always hyper. Clive James said of him: “In his quieter moments he sounded like his trousers were on fire”.

A true legend. RIP.

Last edited:
He was a great commentator . I can remember him from way back in the 60's commentating on scrambling and Motorcross events on Saturday afternoons . He was very entertaining especially when he got things used up.
He was the one who made Budgies bounce with health !
A sad day .
RIP.

I had heard his voice a lot before I ever saw what he looked like. I thought he was in his 20s or 30s, judging by how youthful and exuberant he was. It's no lie to say that it shook me to see this enthusiastic young man in his late 60s. Age really is a state of mind.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Oddly, I thought of him only a couple of days ago when I was browsing other public speakers managed by the company who handles Nigel Owens the rugbyist and he popped up as being on their books.

Top Bottom