RIP Murray Walker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I'll try to listen to this later.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I'd never heard these two quotes but they summed him up totally.
"I'm a car fanatic and each morning I wake up with a smile on my face, whether I'm commentating on the Formula One or at Silver Hatch racetrack in Roary the Racing Car."
"I want to say so much more than I have time for."

Sad loss - although he had a great life

He was the voice I grew up with about motorsport - it will never be the same again

Although if it turns out that his final words were that Lewis will win the F1 championship this year then I digging the bugger to have a word. - never seen a man that could jinx someone so totally infallibly!!!
(only joking!)

A big loss to motorsport, he had such an engaging tone, and dynamic passion.
My life of enjoying motorsport, started with him, and Fleetwood Mac, and continued until he stopped commentating, and afterwards F1 seemed to have lost a huge amount.
I think he had the best of years with Lauda, Hunt, Senna, Prost, Mansell, and Schumacher (probably some from an earlier time too, though I don’t know that for sure), and his humour, knowledge, and skill brought me so much.
RIP Murray.

Last edited:
Great material for Private Eye’s Coleman Ball column. Some more wonderful examples were:
"We've had cars going off left, right and centre", "do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough?", and "with half of the race gone, there is half of the race still to go".

"There's nothing wrong with the car except it's in fire"

"The lead car is unique except for the car behind it which is identical"

"He can't decide whether to leave his visor half open or half closed".

"There are seven winners of the Monaco Grand Prix on the starting line today and four of them are Michael Schumacher".

"Now we have exactly the same situation as we had as at the beginning of the race only exactly opposite".

He was always hyper. Clive James said of him: “In his quieter moments he sounded like his trousers were on fire”.

A true legend. RIP.

Have you nicked my copy of Bedside Wheels? :scratch:

If so, can you please return it...

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I dare you not to smile

View: https://youtu.be/RFiHOmaNVPQ

F1 was so much worse off when he stopped commentating, I still remember listening to him on the rallycross too. Still remember him prodding Nigel Mansell on the head which was rather amusing, though perhaps not for Mansell.
RIP Murray

Austria '87, IIRC, after Mansell whacked his bonce on the gantry during the victory parade lap in the back of an open-top car.

tyred

Legendary Member
In many ways one of the voices of my childhood and teenage years as a Motorsport-obsessed youngster. May he rest in peace.

The word legend is over-used these days I feel but in his case he genuinely is a legend and his knowledge and enthusiasm came through the airwaves loud and clear and he could make even the processional race interesting.

What's more remarkable is that broadcasting was really a hobby and he had a day job in advertising and went to commentate on the races at the weekend. In his work in advertising he coined advertising slogans like "a Mars a day helps you work rest and play" and "PAL prolongs active life."

In many ways one of the voices of my childhood and teenage years as a Motorsport-obsessed youngster. May he rest in peace.

The word legend is over-used these days I feel but in his case he genuinely is a legend and his knowledge and enthusiasm came through the airwaves loud and clear and he could make even the processional race interesting.

What's more remarkable is that broadcasting was really a hobby and he had a day job in advertising and went to commentate on the races at the weekend. In his work in advertising he coined advertising slogans like "a Mars a day helps you work rest and play" and "PAL prolongs active life."

And... An only budgie is a lonely budgie (trill budgie food)

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
@Joey Shabadoo
That Clip you just posted up sums up Murray Walker at his greatest.
You got a real excitement watching motor racing back then. Even though TV,s were small and the picture was grainy, you somehow got a real sense of the action listening to him. Back then, F1 coverage wasn't all about data that litters the screens of today. It was about the raw footage and amazing commentary from Murray. You could feel the atmosphere of summer of F1 racing and the unpredictability of it. Today it's just all about data and technology which seems to remove the glamorous atmosphere of the old F1. Certainly a sad day to see the loss of Murray Walker

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
@Joey Shabadoo
That Clip you just posted up sums up Murray Walker at his greatest.
You got a real excitement watching motor racing back then. Even though TV,s were small and the picture was grainy, you somehow got a real sense of the action listening to him. Back then, F1 coverage wasn't all about data that litters the screens of today. It was about the raw footage and amazing commentary from Murray. You could feel the atmosphere of summer of F1 racing and the unpredictability of it. Today it's just all about data and technology which seems to remove the glamorous atmosphere of the old F1. Certainly a sad day to see the loss of Murray Walker
It's true, although I'm a fan of David Coulthard who's liable to open his mouth and just say what he thinks sometimes -

View: https://youtu.be/s-ReqE4lkAw

Top Bottom