RIP Sheldon Brown.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I knew he wasn't well. I emailed him a quick "thanks for your site and get well soon" message and he took the trouble to send a lovely reply back. His site is on my list of bookmarks on the top of my screen - lift my eyes a couple of inches and I can see it.

Damn, damn, damn, what a loss. How sad.

Keith Oates

Janner
He was always the one you referred to when cycling questions were raised, a very pleasant and dedicated man to cycling. Sad to hear of his passing, he will really be missed by many.

Keith Oates said:
He was always the one you referred to when cycling questions were raised, a very pleasant and dedicated man to cycling. Sad to hear of his passing, he will really be missed by many.
Somehow I knew you'd be dropping the !!!!!!! for this post Keith. Like lowering a flag to half mast.

Shaun

Founder
He'll be sadly missed, as will his god-like velo knowledge and enthusiasm. :sad:

Renard

The definitive reference point. I presume his site will be kept going. This would be an obituary befitting his memory.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
A massive loss to the world, not just cycling. We need people like him, so full of kindness and passion.

I think the two most important aspects of Sheldon (from my POV anyway...) were:
His ability to cut to the chase with all things technical - anything about bike mechanics you needed to know were succinctly presented in an easily understood manner (no mean feat in todays increasingly new-fangled world of cycling), and more importantly...
His sense of humour about the whole thing. Self-deprecating, happy to take the piss out of the overly-serious side of things as much as himself.

Ride on, Sheldon...

Dave5N

Über Member
Landslide said:
A massive loss to the world, not just cycling. We need people like him, so full of kindness and passion.

I think the two most important aspects of Sheldon (from my POV anyway...) were:
His ability to cut to the chase with all things technical - anything about bike mechanics you needed to know were succinctly presented in an easily understood manner (no mean feat in todays increasingly new-fangled world of cycling), and more importantly...
His sense of humour about the whole thing. Self-deprecating, happy to take the piss out of the overly-serious side of things as much as himself.

Ride on, Sheldon...

Yep. That's what I wanted to say. Well put, LS.

I do hope they keep the site alive. A fitting tribute indeed.

bonj2

ah, shame :sad:
he was a sound guy.
I found his wheel building guide very good, he obviously put lots of effort into it , as with everything else cycling-wise he devoted himself to.

Respect:becool:

Johnny Thin

Oh dear, that's a terrible shame. The last thing I read he was managing to ride a recumbent trike around quite happily despite his illness. He sent me a very prompt and friendly reply to a question I asked him once.

Top Bottom