Rise Above: A Cav branded sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleaver

Veteran
If this is run next year, I may consider it rather than keep on doing the same sportives. Therefore, would you say that it is worth traveling from Surrey to do? I could also turn it into a short break as well.

mynydd

Veteran
Just about recovered from the 185km route now, some of those hills were brutal! Yes, the wind up by the wind farms was pretty horrid, I felt like giving up at that point, glad I didn't though.
A great event, though they do need to sort out water for next year, I queued for about half an hour at the first feed stop! Don't understand why the sis guys only had one container going at a time..... Some marshals wouldn't go amis on some of the junctions either

blazed

220lb+
If this is run next year, I may consider it rather than keep on doing the same sportives. Therefore, would you say that it is worth traveling from Surrey to do? I could also turn it into a short break as well.
No there are other sportives in Wales that are far more challenging. This one seems to be the same sort of elevation as the Chiltern 100.

Last edited by a moderator:

Subotai72

I'd say yes. The countryside you'll travel through is fantastic and a short break will give you ample time to sample the delights of Chester as well (which is always worth a visit). It was really well organised and appeared to be plenty of support locally.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
In Cav's defence he seems genuinely interested in those who ride his event. He dipped his toe in the water last year with co-running an event at the tour of Britain sportive. I've done this one every year as it's a bit of a ritual for me (being the 1st long ride I ever did), and he was taking time to talk to every finisher on the line. I came home in the 1st batch of riders having set off very early and spanked it round the 100 miles, so had a good 5min chat with him at the end. He was very friendly, eager to chat and find out what we thought etc... This is in contrast to Wiggo's foundation ride (now dead) where he turned up, didn't speak to anyone then f**ked off without even getting on his bike, much to the annoyance of the hundreds of people who turned out to line the course...grumpy bastard.

Subotai72

Just remembered Chris Hoy has a sportive http://www.evanscycles.com/pages/rideit-hoy-one-hundred-30th-august-2015 there's still time for you guys to cycle with a celeb.

I signed up to do it because it was on my doorstep and the first time I'd tried a Sportive not because Mark Cavendish attached his name to it. I've also signed up for an Evans Ride It! event that is local to me in October. Obviously not really concerned with the actual ride, more in hoping that Cadel Evans will show up...

Top Bottom