Rising Damp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Water can track for a long way before it shows itself, but generally downwards, not upwards. I'd be checking above windows & doors (lintels - anywhere where the inner & outer walls join) and even looking to see if there are any missing tiles or slates letting water into the cavity.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Cheers all - I'll get the ladders out and see about cutting a floorboard.

Penetrating sounds less stressful that retrofitting a damp proof course.

postman

Legendary Member
Got the same problem with a wall inside the corridor I am painting for the church ⛪.Ours will be dealt with when we get some real cash together.Two coats of damp proof paint hopefully will hold it back long enough.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Got the same problem with a wall inside the corridor I am painting for the church ⛪.Ours will be dealt with when we get some real cash together.Two coats of damp proof paint hopefully will hold it back long enough.

Let me know if you get the cash - I need some too! :laugh:

Gillstay

Über Member
Cheers all - I'll get the ladders out and see about cutting a floorboard.

Penetrating sounds less stressful that retrofitting a damp proof course.

I once had to treat rising damp in a similar situation and just treating the cement between the bricks was enough.

I did it on a hot day so it got sucked well into the cement and did the worse bit by injection and the rest with a brush.

Cured the problem, so must have been an odd spot causing the damp.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
you little tinker ! you didn't say there was a rainwater pipe - when its raining go outside and watch what is happening - might be blocked anywhere and running onto brickwork - you could even run hose pipe in gutter to check - that picture isn't rising damp - its water getting in from somewhere that outside corner looks soaked

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

That happened to the house that my niece bought in Exmouth. She discovered that the floor was rotten and had to be replaced.

We had similar in our first house and I had to replace most of the joists, it had a sleeper wall going across the middle of the room, I had to cut off the rotten joists in front of the sleeper wall and fit replacement joists that extended behind the wall, I always thought the TV rocked because of the cheap stand it was on but it was the floor.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We had similar in our first house and I had to replace most of the joists, it had a sleeper wall going across the middle of the room, I had to cut off the rotten joists in front of the sleeper wall and fit replacement joists that extended behind the wall, I always thought the TV rocked because of the cheap stand it was on but it was the floor.

The house in Exmouth had a faulty drainpipe which was leaking water onto the front wall of the house. It had probably been like that for years. The water was running down the wall into a crack and getting into the soil under the floorboards that way.

Slick

Guru
Obviously I could be very wrong but I reckon the fact you replaced the wall ties could be significant as they form a bridge between the inner and outer skin of the house. Cavity wall insulation won't help, even if it is the balls. Houses were built with a cavity for a reason. :okay:

D

Deleted member 1258

The house in Exmouth had a faulty drainpipe which was leaking water onto the front wall of the house. It had probably been like that for years. The water was running down the wall into a crack and getting into the soil under the floorboards that way.

The house had been empty for several years, an old lady had been living there on her own and after she passed away the family was selling the house which had rising damp and several other problems which they had to fix before we brought the house.

CXRAndy

Guru
Interesting - so the dryrods could be a waste of time if so?

Few photos attached to show inside / outside. Cavity walls that were filled with those polystyrene balls before we bought the house.

View attachment 667196

View attachment 667197

View attachment 667198

The air brick has been blocked, but also the gutter down pipe looks like it discharges onto the tarmac. The gutter gulley looks blocked too. I suspect water rising up from the gulley or tarmac areas.

Clean out the gulley, put an inspection camera down it to make sure it's not cracked. If it's cracked, dig out and replace with new.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
The air brick has been blocked, but also the gutter down pipe looks like it discharges onto the tarmac. The gutter gulley looks blocked too. I suspect water rising up from the gulley or tarmac areas.

Clean out the gulley, put an inspection camera down it to make sure it's not cracked. If it's cracked, dig out and replace with new.

It's just a stainless mesh on the airbrick - reduced flow but not blocked.

The downpipe outfalls into the drain - it's not blocked, stainless mesh to stop the leaves getting down, I tip into the green bin regularly.

I've just ordered a borescope from amazon - should be here tomorrow.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
We had an issue with dampness and water ingress, when we moved into this house .
It’s modern but it took my nearly a year to work out what was going on when it was heavy rain. Water coming up through skirting and water running down inside of front window .
It turned out to be a gap at the concrete top lintel outside , the lead flashing didn’t come all the way along and there was a hole.
Mixed up some mortar and filled the gap . No more water and the wall inside above the windows is now dry . The plaster was damp and flaking .

Top Bottom