Rising Damp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
When we first moved in (circa 9 years ago) I noticed brown stain type paint on the plaster by the front door that I assumed might be to do with rising damp.

I have noticed it getting a bit damp there when it rains but always put it to the back of my mind - the area of damp had now spread to the side wall and maybe 800mm off the floor, I did have the cavity wall ties renewed a year or two ago and wondered if this may somehow have made it worse? The wall has had lining paper installed and it's fairly obvious to see visually. It recedes when we have a dry day or two.

It's a job I keep meaning to get round to, but life gets in the way.

We've got a suspended timber floor and varnished floorboards, my idea at the moment is to carefully cut and lift the first few to give access to the wall, then drill the mortar and install Dryrods.

Has anyone done this before, and does it sound like a sensible approach?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How's the house generally for damp ? Is a dehumidifier worth a shot if it's an older property ? Is it just on the surface ?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Sounds more like penetrating damp than rising damp to me. If it's by a door it might be something around the frame. I assume the ground level outside is below the damp course.
I have also seen problems caused by dirt having built up over years under a suspended floor, but that was an older house.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
How's the house generally for damp ? Is a dehumidifier worth a shot if it's an older property ? Is it just on the surface ?

The rest of the house is generally ok, we run a dehumidifier for drying clothes.

If I put the dehumidifier by the damp it doesnt drop below 73%

In other rooms it starts around 70% and drops to 50%

I do find it strange that it has such a strong response to rain - I've watched the gutters etc in the rain and can't see anywhere it's splashing onto the brickwork. Also the exterior brickwork doesn't show signs of damp.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Interesting - so the dryrods could be a waste of time if so?

Few photos attached to show inside / outside. Cavity walls that were filled with those polystyrene balls before we bought the house.

1667825550409.png

1667825566072.png

1667825594312.png

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Thanks - I'm guessing you mean below ground level?

I did try to look previously but the grate is either glued or rusted in place

the snail

Guru
I agree with the other posters it looks like rainwater penetration, rising damp doesn't usually look that wet, usually you see brown staining and/or salt crystals. My guess would be poorly sealed door/window, gaps in pointing or failed guttering/downpipe as others suggest. It might be worth going outside when it's raining and having a look.

Top Bottom