RLJ in the countryside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
[QUOTE 5239570, member: 9609"]Potentially traffic lights can be timed at 1 second for every 10 metres. So if you go through just before amber shows and you average below 22.5mph the green will come on at the far end.

There has been a few occasions where I have met vehicles coming the other way at road works even though I have went through on green, even had abuse and threats hurled at me for jumping the red light.

My local council, plus my MSP, plus the Scottish Transport minister don't seem to be remotely interested.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever been to Moffat on the A708?

upload_2018-5-11_21-40-47.png

I know what it says on the box with the push button on the traffic light because I've been stopped there often enough in a car. But when I cycled throught it last year the lights had just changed to green for the car in front. Did I brake from 20mph to push the button? Aye, right!! (I was actually going the other way, but the old triumph makes for a better screengrab).

On the box it says, in minute writing completely un-noticable to a cyclist moving at any speed, cyclists press the button. This keeps the light at the other end red for longer than normal.

Mr Celine

Discordian
[QUOTE 5241044, member: 9609"]Driven through there many times, never cycled it, did not know there was a delay button for cyclists - what a good idea.

[/QUOTE]

It's a good idea, but could be better executed and should have an explanatory sign in advance which is of a size legible to an approaching cyclist. Top marks to Dumfries and Galloway for at least trying. Compare that to SBCs botch at Neidpath on the A72, which incidentally I went through on the same century ride as the lights in Moffatdale.

upload_2018-5-12_0-31-24.png

Where do you even start with this? There's an ASL on the main carriageway, but a cycle lane to the left of it which bypasses both the stop line and the traffic light. Does the keep right arrow on the traffic island make the cycle lane unusable? Do the traffic lights apply to a cyclist in the bypass lane? Why does the cycle lane stop abruptly 10 metres beyond the traffic lights with no warning whatsoever?
The only safe way to negotiate this is to obey both the traffic lights and and the keep right bollard and to ride the whole thing in primary.

On the roads I use, which have had a lot of temporary traffic lights, they don’t seem to want to trigger for cyclists, it’s not too bad if your on the downhill side, waiting until a bigger vehicle sets the lights off, but uphill can mean a long line of slow traffic as you climb the slow hill, so at times I admit to getting off and pushing the bike up the pavement, or even the other sides of the cones, car drivers don’t seem to mind that, I wouldn’t ride through a red though.

There's a junction near where I work that I can't use on the motorbike once the leaves disappear from the trees, I have to RLJ it or take a mile loop round to get to the same place. Once leaves are on the tree then the CCTV camera right behind me is completely engulfed by the tree so can't see my number plate.

I always treat it as a broken light and proceed with care giving way to everything, same as I used to do when cycling through Coventry where none of the lights reacted to bikes - my route through the city centre traffic lighted junctions were mainly left turns to make RLJ safer and easier late at night where I wasn't able to route round the junction.

Alan O

Über Member
I had one last week, where I got into a right-turn filter lane at a traffic-light junction, to find the right-turn lights were vehicle activated and I wasn't detectable. In the end I got off and became a pedestrian when there was a clear stretch of road.

To make it worse, it was the wrong right turn! I had to get back across the road and continue ahead.

Top Bottom