RLJ in the countryside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Driving from Tavistock to Brentor on the Lydford road. Set of temporary lights covering a distance of about 50m.

Red for us, cyclist in front, slowed down to give him plenty of space to stop.

Just carried on.

Just as well he could not hear what my wife said...

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Did the world end? I hope not.

On the roads I use, which have had a lot of temporary traffic lights, they don’t seem to want to trigger for cyclists, it’s not too bad if your on the downhill side, waiting until a bigger vehicle sets the lights off, but uphill can mean a long line of slow traffic as you climb the slow hill, so at times I admit to getting off and pushing the bike up the pavement, or even the other sides of the cones, car drivers don’t seem to mind that, I wouldn’t ride through a red though.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Temporary lights are a pain. They are not set for cyclists so even if you start on green you often end up meeting oncoming traffic because they have changed while you are in transit. If there is room I usually ignore them as I am dammned if I do and also if I don’t. Even permanent ones like Connel Bridge near Oban will often have a cyclist starting on green meeting traffic legitimately starting on green in the opposite direction and it is a narrow bridge. Most local traffic is pretty tolerant but I just use the narrow pavement after checking that nobody is coming towards me. Nobody here at least seems to get uptight about the use of common sense as opposed to rules and regulations.

Fair point about cyclists not triggering the damned things properly. I've not personally ridden through many - on green - to notice a problem, but thinking about it, they expect to see a larger mass than a cyclist...

Lonestar

Veteran
Driving from Tavistock to Brentor on the Lydford road. Set of temporary lights covering a distance of about 50m.

Red for us, cyclist in front, slowed down to give him plenty of space to stop.

Just carried on.

Just as well he could not hear what my wife said...

Should have shouted out the window..."pay road tax you barsteward" while blasting your horn....usually works.

Either that or "Get off and milk it."

Got a set of light's which aren't temporary but usually take their time to change on detection but I survive without jumping them.

Top Bottom