RLJ in the countryside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
In the circumstances outlined in the post I was replying to - yes. You carry on waiting at red lights at pelican crossings when it's perfectly obvious that no-one is using it if you like. You'll be claiming that you don't do a sneaky wee left turn on your bike at a red light on a deserted street at 2am next.....

I don't,what is the point?...To save a few seconds? Where have I heard that before?Ho hum.

I'm never in so much in a bloody hurry and I will never be in such a hurry to get to work again since I was rung at home to do a favour and come in early...So I rushed to work without jumping red lights...but this was the 90's...If I'm late for work...tough...It happens but rarely.

I don't get the "you make a sneaky left at a red light at two in the morning thing" just because you ignore red lights to suit (allegedly) doesn't mean I do.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you are going to RLJ then do it properly - us cyclists are mere amateurs.

giphy.gif

benb

Evidence based cyclist
There's a junction near me where at one point in the pattern traffic is held at red just to stop the junction clogging up ahead.
I could go through with no impact or detriment to anybody - no conflict with other vehicles and no pedestrians crossing either.
So why on earth shouldn't I do that?

Tim Hall

Most temporary lights are controlled by PIR detectors on top of the lights so if they don't seem to sense you, a hand waved in front of the detector will set them off.
Doppler radar rather than PIR I think, so they can tell the difference between things moving towards and things moving away.

It's common sense to disobey road rules to suit?Ok then.

I can't actually remember when I have had the need to jump temporary lights or the dodgy or the slow changing ones at 3/4am because I'm in so much of a hurry.

How woukd you manage when confronted by faulty lights, that refuse to change, or won’t sense you at 4am with no other vehicles around to trigger the lights?

Just wondered whether there are any circumstances that you are prepared to become an outlaw.

swansonj

Guru
I don't,what is the point?...To save a few seconds? Where have I heard that before?Ho hum.

I'm never in so much in a bloody hurry and I will never be in such a hurry to get to work again since I was rung at home to do a favour and come in early...So I rushed to work without jumping red lights...but this was the 90's...If I'm late for work...tough...It happens but rarely.

I don't get the "you make a sneaky left at a red light at two in the morning thing" just because you ignore red lights to suit (allegedly) doesn't mean I do.
You answer your own "what is the point" question but answer it wrongly, at least in my case.

When I jump red lights, which is I think less than the average cyclist but more than zero, the point is not to save time, it is either to save energy (through not having to accelerate back up to speed again) or to improve safety (through clearing a junction before motor traffic appears).

Lonestar

Veteran
How woukd you manage when confronted by faulty lights, that refuse to change, or won’t sense you at 4am with no other vehicles around to trigger the lights?

Just wondered whether there are any circumstances that you are prepared to become an outlaw.

Probably but that doesn't happen every day...must say rarely.Walk across may be an option and generally if it's during the day the motorists have realised they are faulty also.

The only set I know when the special people are in bed is at the end of Shorter Street near Tower Bridge in the early hours before 5am...The CS 3 lights down to Upper/Lower Thames street but I just walk across or make sure I'm in the bus lane.Generally I avoid anyway and go via Tower Bridge.

So we've got a vote for "I don't stop at red lights so I can save energy."
and also "Clear the junction before motor traffic appears."

How about just not cycling on the road in case motor traffic appears?

Milkfloat

An Peanut

I hope he does not go down the path of contacting my local authority, whom despite more than 6 requests over a 2 year period have not fixed the faulty lights near me that fail to sense me. If he does, then he better take something warm as often a car won't come by and trigger the lights for at least 5 minutes on a Sunday morning.

Venod

Eh up
It's common sense to disobey road rules to suit?Ok then.

I am glad I have your approval

Another thing I do (unless I have the grandchildren with me) if as a pedestrian I am using a pelican and it is the red standing man but the road is completely empty of traffic, I cross , and I would hope that when the grandchildren get older and wiser and understand the situation they have the common sense to do so.

One of my pet hates is seeing a bunch adults waiting for a green signal when its obvious nothing is coming or likely to be while they cross the deserted road.

Tim Hall

Ooh! Ooh! Sir! I know this one:
If the traffic lights are not working, treat the situation as you would an unmarked junction and proceed with great care.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 36

swansonj

Guru
I am glad I have your approval

Another thing I do (unless I have the grandchildren with me) if as a pedestrian I am using a pelican and it is the red standing man but the road is completely empty of traffic, I cross , and I would hope that when the grandchildren get older and wiser and understand the situation they have the common sense to do so.

One of my pet hates is seeing a bunch adults waiting for a green signal when its obvious nothing is coming or likely to be while they cross the deserted road.
To be fair, the red pedestrian is not I think a legally enforceable instruction whereas the red traffic light is.

Lonestar

Veteran
I hope he does not go down the path of contacting my local authority, whom despite more than 6 requests over a 2 year period have not fixed the faulty lights near me that fail to sense me. If he does, then he better take something warm as often a car won't come by and trigger the lights for at least 5 minutes on a Sunday morning.

I have done.A set at Stratford a few years back...Yes it took ages.

Lonestar

Veteran
Yeah I get your point had that sometimes at temporary lights and some dodgy lights at Westferry don't give a lot of time to clear the junction.

Top Bottom