RLJ in the countryside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Driving from Tavistock to Brentor on the Lydford road. Set of temporary lights covering a distance of about 50m.

Red for us, cyclist in front, slowed down to give him plenty of space to stop.

Just carried on.

Just as well he could not hear what my wife said...
Red lights should always be obeyed. Mind you, you have to put the hammer down to get through those on a bike before oncoming traffic starts coming.

Will Spin

Über Member
I often jump red lights at temporary road works (I know, I'm a scoundrel). Several times I've been in a position when I've waited for the lights and found myself holding up a large line of traffic while I go through the roadworks, and on at least one occasion whilst grinding up hill the lights the other end have changed before I've got through.

Lonestar

Veteran
Today I saw a car driver jump a red light.

....and he wasn't even in his car.<Boom Tish>

Globalti

Legendary Member
Most temporary lights are controlled by PIR detectors on top of the lights so if they don't seem to sense you, a hand waved in front of the detector will set them off.

Venod

Eh up
I ride through red lights at roadworks on occasions, if you can see the other set and there is on one waiting and nothing approaching its rude not to, if I can't see the other end I wait, but if there is pedestrian access (and no pedestrians) or nothing inside the cones I will ride, I also ride on pavements if it is safe to do so without affecting pedestrians, its all about common sense and staying safe.

At pelican crossings a pedestrian will cross and the lights remain at red with nobody else crossing, If I am in the car I always wait until the lights change, if I'm on the bike I will ride on as soon as the last pedestrian has crossed.

Am I a bad person ?

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Driving from Tavistock to Brentor on the Lydford road. Set of temporary lights covering a distance of about 50m.

Red for us, cyclist in front, slowed down to give him plenty of space to stop.

Just carried on.

Just as well he could not hear what my wife said...
Sooooooo........ This criminal on a bike; if he was doing 15mph, would take approx 7.2 seconds to cover the 50 metres section of roadworks.
Was there a clear view beyond to the far end of the works? Was there any traffic coming towards you? Was there an escape (gaps in cones etc.) in the section of works where a 2' wide bike could get out of the way IF any stupidly fast moving nobber in a car appeared? Sorry but this is a complete non issue IMHO.. As for affecting drivers attitudes towards cyclists - tough. Some of them just have issues with other people whether it's on the roads or not, and I'm not their therapist.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's common sense to disobey road rules to suit?Ok then.
In the circumstances outlined in the post I was replying to - yes. You carry on waiting at red lights at pelican crossings when it's perfectly obvious that no-one is using it if you like. You'll be claiming that you don't do a sneaky wee left turn on your bike at a red light on a deserted street at 2am next.....

Top Bottom