Road bike comes out of hibernation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In the UK the traditional cycling season coincided with when we put the clocks forward and back.

That's roughly March, when we get a bonus hour of daylight, to October when we lose an hour.

I think more cyclists tend to ride year round now, but I still have a couple of mates who only ride during the spring and summer.

D

Deleted member 1258

Tend to agree, but maybe the thinking is a singlespeed is easier to maintain in adverse conditions.

That, and most of us only do fewer and shorter rides in the winter.

Yes that true, also I personally find slippery conditions are easier to deal with on fixed, more control options.

OP
OP
Zipp2001

Zipp2001

Veteran
In the UK the traditional cycling season coincided with when we put the clocks forward and back.

That's roughly March, when we get a bonus hour of daylight, to October when we lose an hour.

I think more cyclists tend to ride year round now, but I still have a couple of mates who only ride during the spring and summer.

We change the clocks this weekend, so looking forward to more rides after work.

Sharky

Guru
Interesting, I've heard of a handful of cyclists who ride fixed/singlespeed in winter.

The other tradition was fitting mudguards and lights.

Put them on in October, take them off in March.
I've been on my SS (65") since xmas. I find that it gives a better workout for less time. Also easier on the maintenance side.
Hardly ever ride in groups now and as I am retired, don't need to go out on wet days, so no mudguards for me.
And lights on all year round.

With my first club, we only had winter runs, starting on the 1st Sunday in October and ran through to the beginning of March when the TT season used to start. The Larkhill Wh's 2-up sticks in my minds as being one of the first events each year.

May get my winter Ribble (gears) out soon, as I want to start finding some of the local Kentish mountains.

Top Bottom