road bike frame size for 6'2"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
John the Monkey said:
Nice looking bike Lifeson - nice setup on it too by the looks of it. Would it be impertinent to ask the frame size, and where in the height range you are yourself?

Thanks
Its a 60cm compact frame and I'm 5'10 so its just a bit too big for me.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
me?

gladly up to £500, bit more if it's lovely, happy to drop as low as £300

still bothered by it looking too nickable though, what to do, still thinking about something good but second hand

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
that TI one makes the first one look outright shabby

very bloody smart, I'd never heard of them before

if you get the TI and lock it up next to my standard cube we might be alright

They are a German brand through and through, and concistently get scored on things you would expect from German engineering.

Very precise handling.
More functional than stylish.
Well specced.
Reliable.

You could always wrap some black electrical tape round the main triangle, it turns the bike from looking smart to looking like a tatty wreck for a couple of quid. Also, unlike taking a can of hammerite to it, it is completely reversable should you want to smarten things up.

Another tip is to get some oil on your hands off the chainset, nice and black, and get than on the bars - makes the bar tape look manky and old and doesn't really come off on your hands, especially if you wear gloves.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
'get some oil on your hands off the chainset'

that's never a problem, I'm wearing some oil in the right inner elbow of my lovely new red izumi jersey at present

yep, good tips although I've heard the proper thieves that will break a good lock can see a good bike straight off, ah well, mudguards and rack and see what happens I fear

I do like style but no at the cost of function, does anyone in London stock them? I've been pointed to Evans at Waterloo and they sem to stock about eight or nine makes of roadie but not them

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
yes I did manage it in the end, my bad for leaving the question out there

both very sarf London for me

who knows, might be buying in about a month if I'm lucky and I've frankly seen very little that didn't make my eyes gleam

can't wait

now on different topics

are carbon forks always a good thing? I like the idea of a bit of vibration/shock absorption and ight can't hurt can it?

and what's with sloping top tubes? it's looks wrong to me, like a girl's bike, what's it for relative to a nice level top tube?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tynan, there's a thread on compact vs traditional goemetry here. Makes for interesting reading, although I suspect it still comes down to which bike feels best to the rider.

How's the new bike project going, anyway? Close to a purchase?

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
bah, waiting on the insurance, lawyers say the other party has three months to even respond, admitting fault or not

whatever, all the more time to rack up costs

back onto defo getting a proper racer/roadie again, my local very good lbs seems to only do hybrids and mtbs sadly, they're got two £2k plus racers

which is a shame

thinking of wobbling along to Evans in Waterloo nearer the time to see and try some out, unless anyone can recommend someone in North/East London with a good selection and helpful and genuine staff

thanks for the link, expect plenty more questions as purchase time approaches!

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
'Lance Armstrong does not ride a compact frame because he doesn't want a "girl's bike."'

suspect me and Lance see eye to eye on that one

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
I'm getting nearer to either a Spesh Allez or one of those fancy Spesh Tricross

I carry panniers and a few days of the week they get a bit bloody heavy with evening classes books and a change of clothes and stuff, plus my 15 st and there's some doubts about the Allez back wheel taking the strain on those charming London roads

Shop suggests the Tricross for a bit more durability, road tyres and perhaps a more roadie block, slight loss of performance but not too much for London commuting, inline brakes too, and it can take full mudguards while I'm told the Allez and the OCR won't

Off to W.Hampstead Cycle Surgery (sounded very on the ball on the phone) to have a look see in the next week, seen some online reviews and people seem well pleased with the Tricross for both road and light off road, always fancied a bit of Epping Forest

Any thoughts gratefully received

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
Condor Cycles today for 2pm

seen at once, and given the shop Fratello complete with SPD pedals for a spin

compared to my current junkers it weighed nothing, I really did nearly throw it into the air when I lifted it up into the road, like riding air, I stopped sharply at a zebra crossing and lifted the rear end up two foot at least, twitchy but a joy to ride, my first drops since school but it felt good from the off, sir returned it and ordered one on the spot

did the fit and found it excellent, the chap, Keith (good bloke and bang on the ball) spotted something wrong with my right shoulder, dipped and putting additional strain on my right arm, and asked if I'd injured it, I said yes six months ago in the accident and he put his finger on the bone I'd broken, gave advice on how to sort it out. When I got home I looked i the mirror and spotted the problem straight off, sigh, looking forward to seeing the PI doctor soon, he set me up for wider handlebars for my wider manly shoulders (I think)

talked me through the upgrades (couldn't afford any) steered me towards the bestest gearset for the basic set, 10 speed campag I think and talked me into £80 extra for the good hand built wheels, comfort and strength sound good

the only bad part is a five week wait but what the hell, it'll be all the sweeter and I'll be all the fitter

thoroughly enjoyable trip out, can not wait for the bike to be ready, ordered it in the beautiful 'steal me' red rather than the dull gray colour, could not resist

Top Bottom