Road bike on cobbled ground

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, man I'm sorry but I don't have the answer to any of those questions! I bought the bike second hand and it has no brand or anything on it, but looks pretty old. Michelin tyres, and pressure I just have no idea... Sorry!
Fair enough. As Si c said, if you're new to riding then there's an element of getting used to the feel of a road bike. Even a road bike with narrow tyres will cope with some fairly nasty surfaces. The trick for you the rider is to learn to stay relaxed so your arms and legs absorb the impacts. You'd do that on any bike, not just a road bike. That might also mean standing on the pedals rather than sitting on the seat. How exactly you approach it depends on the length of the section you have to ride or how uneven. If it's short speed can help, if it's long, slowing and standing using a slightly harder gear than normal so you turn the pedals slowly and evenly may help.

I also recommend you get a track pump so you know what pressure you have in the tyres and read any writing on the tyre wall so you know what pressure they are meant to take.

Last edited:
Wider tyres work better on cobbles.
Learn to apply just enough pedalling force but no more. Apply force smoothly for the whole pedal rotation , avoid jerky, stomping action. Pick a suitable gear.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Regarding the pressure, if I go to a shop to have the tyres inflated, what should I ask for? Sorry, I really do have zero knowledge here!
To answer this Q quantatively, we need to know your weight (+ 12kg for the bike (say)), and the width of the tyres (you say 'Michelin': you will find some numbers on the side of the tyre eg 25-622).
You'll need a means of measuring pressure - eg a 'track pump': Wiggle link - not a recommendation.
I've attached an authoritative BQ article which I use.

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 13

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Have been riding this week in Belgium. Plenty of cobbles here. Using 25mm tyres no problem. More a confidence thing. The more you ride the easier it will feel.

snorri

Legendary Member
Hi View attachment 464748 new cyclist, looking for some advice. I've got a road bike, and I do mostly ride on roads/cycle paths... THANK YOU in advance :smile:
The term 'road bike' is a bit misleading and has replaced the old 'racer' to describe lighter weight bicycles which demand surfaces somewhat smoother than those often encountered on UK roads. Perhaps the 'hybrid' style bicycle would be more suited to your requirements?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The term 'road bike' is a bit misleading and has replaced the old 'racer' to describe lighter weight bicycles which demand surfaces somewhat smoother than those often encountered on UK roads. Perhaps the 'hybrid' style bicycle would be more suited to your requirements?
Hi :smile:
Thank you, I hope that will be the case!
Yes I'm pretty new, and this is my first road bike, I always had hybrid/mountain bike previously.... I love how light it is, but I'm worried I made a mistake by switching to be honest :/
Yes, I've found fast to be useful! I was worried speed and the terrain was going to hurt the tyres somehow... haha... maybe that's daft but I really know nothing!
You don't think it's worth looking for more grip-y tyres then?

I think she's tried a hybrid. :whistle:

Has no one done the two nuns riding on the cobblestones joke yet??

If not can I??
go ahead.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Two nuns riding across the cobbles in a new part of town.
One turns to the other and exclaims..

Top Bottom