Road bike on cobbled ground

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Hated the 25c slicks on my road bike, wasn't comfortable, didn't instil confidence and i always had puncture anxiety..... So now i use 28c tyres with some tread and decent pp, although i would go a bit wider if i had room for them. But even with only 28 wide i can pretty much go wherever i would go with my hybrid.
Schwalbe Delta Cruiser + and Marathon Greenguard are my preferred. I'm not interested in speed, so that doesn't have to be a consideration.

biking_fox

Guru
Hi :smile:
Thank you, I hope that will be the case!
Yes I'm pretty new, and this is my first road bike, I always had hybrid/mountain bike previously.... I love how light it is, but I'm worried I made a mistake by switching to be honest :/
Yes, I've found fast to be useful! I was worried speed and the terrain was going to hurt the tyres somehow... haha... maybe that's daft but I really know nothing!
You don't think it's worth looking for more grip-y tyres then?

Just one thing to be careful of, especially with narrower tyres, is that if you lower the pressure too much you'll get pinch punctures when you hit the cobbles too fast (trapping the inner tube between the rim and the tyre). I would keep the tyres hard, and cycle slower in a lower gear over cobbled sections.

mustang1

Guru
If the cobbles have large gaps between each cobble, I would stay away from such streets. But if the cobbles are narrower, then need to get used to it.

If you ride cobbles slot, I think a gravel bike would be better.

Ps: I would drop pressure in the tyres though... More chance of pinch flat on cobbles?

Top Bottom