Road Bike options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pedalton

Regular
Hi all,

I have just started commuting, I am currently using a mountain bike with off road tyres, but considering getting a road bike, I have never had one and this is my opportunity to give them a go.

I am not sure where to start?

My commute is all on road about 5 miles each way. Well lit roads. Most of the route has cycle lanes or a large width of road. There are some traffic hot spots as I get into the city, but nothing major. I would use in most conditions, but not in heavy rain, snow or icy conditions.

Has anyone owned entry level road bikes like these before..
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/viking-jet-stream-road-bike-p267836
http://www.tesco.com/direct/vittesse-sprint-race-700c-road-bike-special-edition/215-0205.prd

Would I be better off with a second hand road bike to start with, perhaps a better model than the ones above?

As I am new to commuting I am not sure about forking out a lot on expensive bikes just yet.

Thanks everyone!

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, go second hand. What's your budget?

Something like this would suit you better than both of those which will be poor.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/carerra-tdf-54cm-£200-pickup-paisley.168421/ (pick up in Scotland but there'll be others and the seller might be willing to post)

Don't buy a no name bike from Tesco!

@biggs682 might be able to sort you out with something retro

A cheaper option would be to put slick tyres on your MTB, use that through winter, save up for something shiny and new in the spring

Tin Pot

Guru
Your existing bike gets you there, and it's what 20-25min ride each way?

I suspect you might have some leisure cycling in mind too? Otherwise I'd save the cash.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Year round commuting in all weathers takes its toll on a bike, and a cheap bike will quickly become a money pit as it falls to bits.
You dont need to spend much, but I'd keep going with the MTB over the winter. if you can stick it out for the worst part of the year then you know you commuting is for you, at which poinmt buy a bike, maybe spend a bit more or buy a quality second hand machine.
Remebre that you will need mud guards for year round commuting.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@pedalton i normally have a couple of retro style road racers on sale .

so a couple of questions for you
  1. how tall are you
  2. where are you based
  3. down tube , bar end or sti shifters
  4. any specific hated colour schemes
if you are local to me in Northamptonshire feel free to contact me and come and have a try on a retro road bike to see what you think

OP
OP
P

pedalton

Regular
Yes, go second hand. What's your budget?

Something like this would suit you better than both of those which will be poor.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/carerra-tdf-54cm-£200-pickup-paisley.168421/ (pick up in Scotland but there'll be others and the seller might be willing to post)

Don't buy a no name bike from Tesco!

@biggs682 might be able to sort you out with something retro

A cheaper option would be to put slick tyres on your MTB, use that through winter, save up for something shiny and new in the spring

Haven't got a budget in mind at the moment, of depends on howy bike commuting goes, especially through the winter. However I can't see myself spending 4 digits on a bike at the moment. I was curious as to why these low cost bikes would be so bad from a technical perspective? Are they heavier? Or is it purely that they use cheap parts and are badly set up?

Yes I looking at road tyres. What are my options at the moment I have 26" x 1.95 width tyres, would I need new inner tubes for any other size tyre? It looks like you can use the same inner tube from 1.5 to 2.125 width tyres.

Your existing bike gets you there, and it's what 20-25min ride each way?

I suspect you might have some leisure cycling in mind too? Otherwise I'd save the cash.

That's true, I would just like to try out a road bike in the future. The bike will mainly be used for commuting, however where I have moved too has some lovely road routes and I often see groups of road bikers take them, therefore I might go in some.

Year round commuting in all weathers takes its toll on a bike, and a cheap bike will quickly become a money pit as it falls to bits.
You dont need to spend much, but I'd keep going with the MTB over the winter. if you can stick it out for the worst part of the year then you know you commuting is for you, at which poinmt buy a bike, maybe spend a bit more or buy a quality second hand machine.
Remebre that you will need mud guards for year round commuting.

Thanks for the advice. Again I am interested what makes the cheap bikes a bad choice for commuting, like anything I guess you get what you pay for?

@pedalton i normally have a couple of retro style road racers on sale .

so a couple of questions for you
  1. how tall are you
  2. where are you based
  3. down tube , bar end or sti shifters
  4. any specific hated colour schemes
if you are local to me in Northamptonshire feel free to contact me and come and have a try on a retro road bike to see what you think

Thanks biggs682.

1) 5ft 11"
2) Leeds, west Yorkshire
3) would like yo give down tubes a go.
4) Anything too girlie.

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
Yup, you get what you pay for. Cheap bike = cheap parts, cheap labour.

I have an £80 bike and an £800 bike, I like them both for what they are.

Personally I would get a triban 3 - c.£299 and well recommended/liked.

I've really enjoyed exploring where I live on bike, and a decent road bike does make it a joy rather than a chore. Still have problems on expensive bikes though!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Thanks for the advice. Again I am interested what makes the cheap bikes a bad choice for commuting, like anything I guess you get what you pay for?
It is a bike you will use twice a day, every day, in all weather, it has to be 100% reliable and bomb proof to get you to work. The chances are you wont be cleaning and maintaining it much more than once a week at best.
A cheap bike will have rubbish wheels which will buckle and bend, the gears will be hard to keep well maintained. Bearings and other moving parts will be poor quality. A cheap nike will be a rusty wreck.
I dont advocate spending huge amounts of money. When i started i rode the MTB i had in the shed, then 6 months later bought a hybrid for £500, which i still use as my back up bike, before eventually spending over £1000 on a commuter specific road bike.

OP
OP
P

pedalton

Regular
Thanks everyone. Yep going to get some road tyres for the MTB. Any advice on the tyre widths. I have 26" x 1.95 at the moment. Should in stick with this width road tyre on the MTB? If I go thinner can I still keep the same inner tube's? Thanks!!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
put slicks on the mtb. it's amazing how much of a difference it makes, and a far better option that a poor quality road bike...
Definitely the best advice for you to try the feel of a road bike, without the hassle of change.

I did This for a few years before finally making the jump to a roadie and my commute was 40 mile round trip

biking_fox

Guru
Yes I looking at road tyres. What are my options at the moment I have 26" x 1.95 width tyres, would I need new inner tubes for any other size tyre? It looks like you can use the same inner tube from 1.5 to 2.125 width tyres.

Yes you probably will want new tubes - your road bike wheels will be 700c rather than 26". Not a vast difference, but enough. You may well be running at 23mm too which is ~7/8" eg less than half your current tyre width.
If you've the budget there's a lot ot be said for buying a dirt cheap bike to try over the nicer winter days, before trading it up to a better machine in spring. You'll notice the difference in ride almost immediately.

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks everyone. Yep going to get some road tyres for the MTB. Any advice on the tyre widths. I have 26" x 1.95 at the moment. Should in stick with this width road tyre on the MTB? If I go thinner can I still keep the same inner tube's? Thanks!!
I've just put 26 x 1.5 Vittorias on mine, from the french multi-sport shop. It rolls a lot better - it's smooth enough now that I can no longer ignore the fact that the real wheel bearings need greasing :smile: The inner tubes you have will be fine.

Top Bottom