Road Bike or Not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chipmonster

I have been cycling for a month now, loving it.

I want to get a road bike, but will it be suitable for where I live.

I live in Blackburn, full of hills, would a road bike be suitable or not. I think going down them will be great, but what about the hills?

I get some good deals on the Claud Butler range so its going to be either a Claud butler strada or a Torino (Torino if I pass my exams, results are out on Thursday, problay no bike if i fail).

Let me have your thoughts whether i should buy a road bike or not?

Thanks

Keith Oates

Janner
I'm biased because I like road bikes, but it's down to what you like as to what you buy. However if you're really worried about the hills you can get them either compact or with a triple in the front which can mke it easier on the really steep ones. Go for the roadie and you won't regret it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dodgy

If you want to ride on road, get a road bike, if you want to go off-road, get a mountain bike ;)

A road bike will be fine, if you're worried about gearing, get a bike with a triple chainset to give you more (lower) gears.

Dave.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
If you are travelling mainly on reasonable surfaces then the road bike will blow the socks off anything else (IMHO). As Keith says, if you are worried about the hills then simply give yourself a bit more ammunition with the extra chainring.

<< cue everyone else along to disagree >> ;):biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Hi chipmonster,
Delighted to hear you are loving the cycling :biggrin:
Let me have your thoughts whether i should buy a road bike or not?
Of course - but I am biased as I love riding on the road :biggrin:
It all depends on what you want to do, where you want to go etc :smile:

If you have not yet done so, I would encourage you to have a read through the first sticky on the Beginners Forum, entitled "My Advice to Newbies". There is a lot of good information there, which should give you a better overall picture of what is available and where (that's what it was written for ;))

I would add to andyfromotley's comments by counselling patience before purchase. (gosh, that makes me sound old:blush:) It's very easy to get so caught up in the idea of a new, (expensive !) bike that the realities of terrain, opportunity, motivation etc can get pushed to the back and one ends up with a shiny, pricey new toy that gathers dust ....:sad:

I'm sure there are lots of folk on here who either live in Blackburn or know it well, who will be able to advise on its hills - for better or for worse :biggrin:. Anyway, if ordinary people can ride the Etape du Tour with its hills, Blackburn will be a doddle - once you are fit ! :biggrin::biggrin: Certainly, a 'racing' road bike (light, plenty of gears, designed for spee-eee-ee-d) would be the best steed for flying (or even grinding) up the hills.

So, to attempt a summary:
- are you going to ride roads, tours, trails, offroad tracks - or a mixture ?
- are you sufficiently committed to cycling to make that sort of investment straight off ? (perfectly good road bikes are available for much less outlay)
- are you going to pass these exams ? Hope so ! :biggrin:
- happy hunting/mooching round bike shops

ps it's taken me so long to compose this that lots of others have jumped in with (probably better) advice ! :biggrin:

OP
OP
C

chipmonster

Hi

My heads keep saying to me get a good road bike. Each time I am on my mountain bike (Claud Butler Olympus D2), I keep thinking, this bike is to slow.

I can remeber yesterday, I was going down a hilly road, decided to go for it, put the bike into the highest gear and went for it (23 mph I achieved), that was me on the highest gears and giving it all.

If I pass these exams on Thursday, taking the day off and going to the bike shop.

I also want to ride the bike at the country side roads.

scoosh said:
Hi chipmonster,
Delighted to hear you are loving the cycling :biggrin:
Of course - but I am biased as I love riding on the road :biggrin:
It all depends on what you want to do, where you want to go etc :smile:

If you have not yet done so, I would encourage you to have a read through the first sticky on the Beginners Forum, entitled "My Advice to Newbies". There is a lot of good information there, which should give you a better overall picture of what is available and where (that's what it was written for ;))

I would add to andyfromotley's comments by counselling patience before purchase. (gosh, that makes me sound old:blush:) It's very easy to get so caught up in the idea of a new, (expensive !) bike that the realities of terrain, opportunity, motivation etc can get pushed to the back and one ends up with a shiny, pricey new toy that gathers dust ....:sad:

I'm sure there are lots of folk on here who either live in Blackburn or know it well, who will be able to advise on its hills - for better or for worse ;). Anyway, if ordinary people can ride the Etape du Tour with its hills, Blackburn will be a doddle - once you are fit ! :biggrin::biggrin: Certainly, a 'racing' road bike (light, plenty of gears, designed for spee-eee-ee-d) would be the best steed for flying (or even grinding) up the hills.

So, to attempt a summary:
- are you going to ride roads, tours, trails, offroad tracks - or a mixture ?
- are you sufficiently committed to cycling to make that sort of investment straight off ? (perfectly good road bikes are available for much less outlay)
- are you going to pass these exams ? Hope so ! :biggrin:
- happy hunting/mooching round bike shops

ps it's taken me so long to compose this that lots of others have jumped in with (probably better) advice ! :blush:

RedBike

I would echo the comments above; but given the fact that you currently avoiding hills on your MTB because you think they're too hard I don't think a road bike would be a good idea.

I would suggest that you get a set of slick tyres for your existing bike and put off the purchase of a road bike until you're a bit fitter.

domtyler

Über Member
Mountain bikes are mainly for kids who like to hang around outside chip shops and fried chicken establishments in the evenings and then ride home on the pavement, no lights, with a can of Tango in one hand and a joint in the other when it's time for bed.

If that's not you then you should buy a real bike, aka a road bike.

RedBike

domtyler said:
Mountain bikes are mainly for kids who like to hang around outside chip shops and fried chicken establishments in the evenings and then ride home on the pavement, no lights, with a can of Tango in one hand and a joint in the other when it's time for bed.

If that's not you then you should buy a real bike, aka a road bike.

PMSL, sooo true.
Love my MTB but I hate riding it on the road.

The trouble is Chipmonster rides appear to be either 1/2 a mile from his car to his office or 4/5 miles around the park. Will he cope with a road bike on those hills?

OP
OP
C

chipmonster

slowly increasing my mileage on my bike now, I beginning to tackle the hills one at a time.

Over the weekend I did about 10 miles each day, my musles are feeling it today !!!

I am noticing that each time I am going out, the mileage is increasing.

RedBike said:
PMSL, sooo true.
Love my MTB but I hate riding it on the road.

The trouble is Chipmonster rides appear to be either 1/2 a mile from his car to his office or 4/5 miles around the park. Will he cope with a road bike on those hills?

DLB

get a road bike but don't buy in a hurry. Take your time and look at all the options. Go to different shops if you can and try some out.

I bought a hybrid 2 years ago and loved the riding so much i bought a road bike 6 months later. My hybrid is out of commision at the momnet and so i only ride the road bike and i LOVE it. It's like driving a ferrari rather than a Ford.

I disagree with Redbike - you don't have to be particularly fit to ride a road bike (at 16+ stone i'm not) and if you get one your love of the bike will help you to get fitter.

Definitely get a triple if you might struggle with hills. I wouldn't recommend a compact double.

Hope this helps ;)

Maz

Guru
domtyler said:
Mountain bikes are mainly for kids who like to hang around outside chip shops and fried chicken establishments...
I find that the hoods of a road bike are excellent for carrying home KFC buckets.

Top Bottom