Road bike owners, how often do you utilise the different hand positions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You’ve gained 147lbs...ouch :scratch::whistle:
haha i meant im that weight total

Drago

Legendary Member
Generally i'm up on the hoods. It's a good compromise between control and maintaining all round visibility.

I'll only go to the drops when it is safe to do so vis a vis the traffic around me, which isn't terribly often. I rarely use the flats as supinating my right hand aggravates my titanium elbow.

i dont work in EU metric nonsense :smile:

Me neither. The proportion of the time I spend on the drops is about 144 fathoms.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Generally i'm up on the hoods. It's a good compromise between control and maintaining all round visibility.

I'll only go to the drops when it is safe to do so vis a vis the traffic around me, which isn't terribly often. I rarely use the flats as supinating my right hand aggravates my titanium elbow.

Me neither. The proportion of the time I spend on the drops is about 144 fathoms.
as long as you can do 20 000 leagues under the sea whilst singing to a seal your fine

Mike_P

Guru
Hoods largely, tops often in traffic / unknown road (due to probability of pot holes) or when I just want to look better at the surroundings, and to assist have cross over brake levers as well. Drops rarely.

faster

Über Member
I shouldn't think the bloke gave a tupenny f**k: it's likely he was soft-pedalling if going at less than 25mph.
He'll have less hand positions than you, so you 'beat him' on that score too: bravo!

Err - yeah. Merry Christmas Ajax!

I'm constantly swapping around, sometimes just one hand on the top leaning back . Mostly on the tops or hoods.
I tried a couple of flat bar rides on 2 mountain bikes this year and found them uncomfortable due to the lack of being able to vary my position .

Gunk

Guru
I'm constantly swapping around, sometimes just one hand on the top leaning back . Mostly on the tops or hoods.
I tried a couple of flat bar rides on 2 mountain bikes this year and found them uncomfortable due to the lack of being able to vary my position .

This applies to me, I took a flat bar hybrid to France last year and it persuaded me to go back to drops.

Top Bottom