Road bike owners, how often do you utilise the different hand positions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

faster

Über Member
I've also been known to do phantom aerobars on occasion. Pity there's no way to do a phantom "Obree tuck".

My position on one of my bikes has developed into an (admittedly naff!) version of the Obree position.

For a touring bike, I ride an early 90's rigid steel mtb. It's miles too small for me, with loads of seatpost showing such that the handlebars are miles lower than the saddle. I can get into a position with a pretty much flat back, and bar ends (fitted to normal flat bars) make it such that it is comfortable to ride with my arms folded up and tucked under my body.

Whilst it's not as quick as a road bike, it's a surprisingly fast bike for what it is - I think a lot of the speed is due to the position. Bear in mind it weighs a ton (over 16kg), has all the usual sort of tat associated with touring on it (mudguards, front and rear rack, lights etc) and has little 26" wheels with 1.5" wide (but slick) tyres on it. It's only a 7 speed too.

At one point my road bike was broken, so I used it to commute to work for a week. I was in very good form at the time, but I was surprised to find that it wasn't much slower than on my road bike over the same route. I think most of rides were around 19mph average, with the best commute of the week being an average 20.8mph over 15 miles. Yes - there was a bit of a tailwind, but it's not net downhill and there are plenty of junctions, lights etc to contend with, and the bike was still pretty quick on other days without the tailwind.

I doubt the bloke I overtook on a TT bike wearing full aero kit was that impressed, especially as I had a weeks worth of work shirts on the rear rack.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Hoods mainly. Drops into a headwind or a decent descent.
Rides longer than a couple of hours, I'll deliberately move my hands around to anywhere where I feel I have control for the circumstances, to save numbness.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
mostly bent elbow on the hoods or on the drops downhill with a bit on on the hooks aka TTposition when giving it the beans on a flattish fast ride

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 7

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Mostly hoods for me but suffer discomfort so do a fair bit on the tops or no hands whilst stretching out.

I blame a lack of flexibility - should prob do some yoga.
And adjust my bike.

WesternBikingGirl

Mostly tops unless I am braking. I'm influenced by track or fixie bike riders so I mostly look for a line instead of braking. I'm rather naughty about red lights. Maybe I'm color blind.

Nibor

Bewildered
I have Koga Denham bars on my roadbike

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I pretty much use all of them - the drops mostly on descents or into a headwind, hoods and corner of the tops most of the time though.

That being said I have a 5½" saddle to bar drop so my hoods are lower than some people have their drops.
Out of interest how tall are you ? i find taller riders have a lot of drop compared to shorter riders like me for the same body angle

Top Bottom