Road bike owners, how often do you utilise the different hand positions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Probably somewhere around 90% on the hoods, 8% on the flats and 2% on the drops. However, since fitting some compact drop bars on a couple of the bikes, I find myself using the drops a bit more.

MntnMan62

Über Member
As someone who is too fat to spend any time in the drops, I spend most of my time on the hoods. And for climbs I tend to move to the flats.

A photo of me in my typical riding style

download (3).jpg

Well maybe not quite...

The majority of my riding is on the hoods although when solo or I'm on the front of a chaingang or occasionally in the middle of a very smooth chaingang I'll ride on the drops. Since my operation I am a lot more comfortable in the dropped position and I'm increasingly using it more.

Hoods 90% of the time, drops for those descents where low centre of gravity is more important than fine control. Occasionally use the tops but that's usually when I'm tired and in the pootle phase of my ride.

I've also been known to do phantom aerobars on occasion. Pity there's no way to do a phantom "Obree tuck".

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

I don't have drops on my road bike!
:biggrin:
Do you have flatbars?

rivers

How far can I go?
Alternate through all 3 positions, depending on ride, how I'm feeling, terrain, etc. If I'm on a really long ride, my extensions are usually popped on, and I use those as well.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm on the drops for those steep downhill twisty roads only, when I need the more powerful braking forces and more accurate steering that the drops provide.
The rest of the time, it's mostly on the hoods, with a little bit of time on the tops occasionally (usually on a climb or just for a change / rest).

si_c

Guru
I pretty much use all of them - the drops mostly on descents or into a headwind, hoods and corner of the tops most of the time though.

That being said I have a 5½" saddle to bar drop so my hoods are lower than some people have their drops.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Around half hoods and half drops. I wasn´t cycling since I think end of september. To be honest I hope the current situation ends soon, so that I can go cycling as often as I did before. Hope you all are doing fine.
- I thought cycling was one of the activities you could do. Limited in the number of people allowed to ride together perhaps, but otherwise no real restrictions.

Top Bottom