Road bike Racers!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
Hats off to the bloke who passed me on the way home earlier this week. He was whistling as he went past.....

I will chase anyone down catch them, and pass them, makes the journey more interesting, and as a Roadie, I hate to be overtaken, sad I know but does make work harder and make me fitter :smile:

gouldina

RyanW said:
Is it just me, or do you guys get this as well. Someone sees you on a road bike, and automatically thinks "I'll have him". Was cycling home after a nice little ride. When some guy comes shooting past me on his hybrid. I can see what he is thinking, he checks over his shoulder a good 5 times before turning left, and im sure i saw a grin on his face.

30 seconds later i catch up with him, go to over take and a blodey 4x4 comes the other way, drop behind, then try again. This time a flippin' virgin engineer runs in front of me. (All along the same road). I go to give it one more try but he shoots left at a junction which i have been hit at before. I'm not suicidal so i just let him go.

TBH i caught him up 2x very easily.

That aside, so does anyone else get that, you ride a road bike so every other cyclist thinks "I can beat that"

I have to say it sounds like you're the one with the problem here, not him. :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Friend of mine is fast on his road bike but isn't bothered by racing other cyclists in traffic ...in a race yes he is. I've felt sorry for him when he has cycled slowly with me up a hill and he has been passed by another roadie but it doesn't seem to bother him. However he does get annoyed if they pass him at full throttle and then slow down so he ends up passing them as he continues at his normal pace... they think the chase is on and so on. Eventually he normally gets annoyed so just ups the pace and loses them.

GrasB

Veteran
summerdays said:
However he does get annoyed if they pass him at full throttle and then slow down so he ends up passing them as he continues at his normal pace... they think the chase is on and so on. Eventually he normally gets annoyed so just ups the pace and loses them.
Now if you can catch, pass & hold it then understand what doing through & off means then you could be in for a fast ride or if you drop me too good. But if you're strong enough to bridge the small gap, take my wheel & then pass but not strong enough to hold my pace for a sustained period don't f**king overtake!

Nick_B

I wonder what proportion of posters to this thread are blokes.

I have a thing about being passed by single-speeds. I just feel that I should be able to keep up with 26 more gears than them. Fair play to the single-speeder on the A6 around Longsight this morning.

Must be what all those boy racers must be up to on the Mile End Road....It must be a penis envy thing.

summerdays said:
Friend of mine is fast on his road bike but isn't bothered by racing other cyclists in traffic ...in a race yes he is. I've felt sorry for him when he has cycled slowly with me up a hill and he has been passed by another roadie but it doesn't seem to bother him. However he does get annoyed if they pass him at full throttle and then slow down so he ends up passing them as he continues at his normal pace... they think the chase is on and so on. Eventually he normally gets annoyed so just ups the pace and loses them.

I know two guys at work...one is a nutter and he will chase anything...he has got quite an expensive bike £2500 which will beat my old clunker any day and the other bloke is really into racing and mountains and stuff so he'd stuff me any day of the week....That's why I don't bother now.I did 30 years ago though.

GrasB

Veteran
Nick_B said:
I wonder what proportion of posters to this thread are blokes.

I have a thing about being passed by single-speeds. I just feel that I should be able to keep up with 26 more gears than them. Fair play to the single-speeder on the A6 around Longsight this morning.
Assuming you've not got really hilly terrain SS/fixie rider on the right gearing should be able to match a geared rider for pace.

BigSteev

Who cares? I pass people, people pass me, makes no difference. Sometimes it quite pleasant to amble along behind another bike, particularly if she has a nice arse.

Top Bottom