Road bike to flat bar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Never able to resist a bargain, I've ordered an rt58 from Planet X. Now I don't really have use for a 4th road bike so I thought I might turn it into a flat bar and sell my whyte Cambridge which has always felt half a size too small! I rarely ride in the rain so disc brakes are of no great importance!

The nice 22 rival group set will go onto my carbon which now feels a bit underspecced with apex (I was thinking of the switch any how but couldn't justify spending £350 on the groupset). Now I've bought a whole bike for £500 :whistle:

The apex groupset has done under 2000 dry miles. So I'm assuming the back end including cranks can be transplanted straight across (new chain possibly) and I just need to get bars, trigger shifters and brake levers? I can put the original shifters back on the Whyte and use the ergos

TheSoulReaver03

Just why the hell do people buy multiple road bikes? Te hang them on walls or what? I never understood this..

TheSoulReaver03

A spare? A differing riding experience to suit different rides? One for the dry and one to hammer in the wet?

I only have one but then I only have storage for one. I'd like two. Hanging on the wall is a good storage idea.

Why would you use a different bike in wet conditions? One for road and one for off-road, maybe. I have that though.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a steel roadbike with rack and mudguards, more of a tourer. I have a carbon roadbike for dry sunny days when I don't need to carry much. And I have a single speed roadbike. Plus a flatbar

And lots of disposable income :whistle:. Bikes are where much of that extra dosh goes. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't spend money on computer games, my car doesn't cost me too much to run, I don't buy designer clothes, shoes, handbags. I have a small mortgage. Can't take it with you!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
A spare? A differing riding experience to suit different rides? One for the dry and one to hammer in the wet?

I only have one but then I only have storage for one. I'd like two. Hanging on the wall is a good storage idea.
I had to buy a 4 bike Asgard as it was getting ridiculous in my lounge!

KneesUp

Guru
I have... lots of disposable income :whistle:
Stay classy, now ;)

BrynCP

Über Member
Why would you use a different bike in wet conditions? One for road and one for off-road, maybe. I have that though.
Well more winter than purely wet. The bike gets covered in salt and stuff off the road. Some people would rather have one dedicated to this type of ride and another that is less likely to suffer from those effects. Personally I use the same bike and wash it after every ride.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I've got a PX pro carbon frame in white going begging. You could've had that for not much and added your own bits and bobs.
Not really looking at carbon for a knockabout :smile: I also bought it for the parts not the frame, the cost of which would exceed the cost of the whole bike if bought new

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
upload_2015-6-13_14-1-18.jpeg
Vickster's a girl, she needs different coloured bikes to match her outfits :girl:

Top Bottom