Road bike to flat bar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok the conversation is lovely but...
I'm ordering stuff now...
Easton ea30 flat bar
A new 10 speed SRAM pc1030 chain, although I hope to use the one off the pave if I can
SRAM sl700 trigger shifters (same as on the Whyte, from Bike24 in Germany, can't find anywhere in the UK, and not for eur 50)
SRAM bl700 brakes (eur 20 from Germany)
New jagwire cables for the carbon, assume these are needed but can be returned to wiggle if not. In red. Might as well have a change from boring black :whistle:

Will I also need to order gear and brake cables for the conversion to flat bar?

I am hoping I am right that cassette, cranks, brakes, front and rear mechs can just be transferred directly between the two bikes. Nothing needs to be done with the BBs I assume?

Ok, now who wants to help @jefmcg with all the mechanical stuff while I make the tea? :biggrin:

Last edited:

TheSoulReaver03

Why would you need to change the BBs...? It makes no sense. If anything, you'll need to change the whole crankset and the casette if it doesn't fit.

KneesUp

Guru
Will I also need to order gear and brake cables for the conversion to flat bar?

I am hoping I am right that cassette, cranks, brakes, front and rear mechs can just be transferred directly between the two bikes. Nothing needs to be done with the BBs I assume?

Ok, now who wants to help @jefmcg with all the mechanical stuff while I make the tea? :biggrin:

Assuming they're both the same sort of BB then it will be fine.

You can never have too many spare cables - if you really *need* to get one off without fraying it so you can use it on another bike, it will fray and you'll have to trim it and then it won't be long enough. This is especially true if there isn't quite enough time to get to the bike shop before it closes. If you have spare, this doesn't happen.

KneesUp

Guru
I would like to go the opposite way and make my subway into a drop bar .

Do it - I love my MTB/road bike. Fast enough for me, and tough as old boots - ideal for exploring places.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Another daft question on cables. I see you can get road and mtb ones, for a road bike receiving bits from another road bike that will have trigger shifters and bar mounted brakes, what cables are needed? I'm thinking the cabling to the trigger shifters differs from that to STIs (I can't be bothered to retrieve the Whyte from the Asgard and stand scratching my head for a while before posting)

I'm guessing at road and have ordered such from Wiggle in case needed, but if this is wrong, they can easily be returned!

KneesUp

Guru
I would need some guidance, i think i need a new front triple mech as sti have a different pull to mtb shifters and how are cable discs with road sti`s ?
My front shifter isn't indexed, and I only have an 8 speed cassette - makes things a lot easier :smile: And I have cantilevers :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Well the bike is being built by Planet X on Wednesday :biggrin:

And all the various parts are /will be on the way
Flat bars
Shifters
Brakes
Universal cables
Some pedals
Anti seize gloop

I will ride it before it gets chopped up though! Hopefully it'll get here sooner rather than later (although with yodel that's anyone's guess :ohmy: )

£25 premium bond cheque arrived today and will go towards funding this folly :biggrin:

Top Bottom