Road bike to flat bar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Well this is finally done, thanks to @jefmcg for helping me strip the two frames as much as we could and to a very helpful LBS for putting it all back together!

The wheels I was going to use on the roadbike won't take an 11 speed groupset so used a later model of the same wheel instead (which I was going to sell)

I have a bunch of cable Inners unused and I've passed Halfords 28 day returns which is annoying

Otherwise I had most of what I needed, new bartape was required

Photos when I've fixed the crud mudguard which annoyingly came apart trying to remove the bike from the car!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Five but trying to reduce to 4

I had forgotten how much I hate crud guards! I doubt they'll last long on the bike, flimsy crap

Last edited:
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I assume they want pictures of 5 bikes. I can attest to their existence.
Ah ok I didn't know what post you were referring to ;)

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Here she is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 52

Brandane

Legendary Member
@vickster ; I am planning to do something similar with my Specialized Secteur drop bar. I believe the frame is the same one as used on the Sirrus flat bar bike anyway; so all I intend to do is take off the drop bars, along with the Shimano Tiagra shifters. I will be buying MTB bars, along with Shimano Deore 9 speed triple MTB shifters, and a pair of Shimano Tiagra brake levers.

Did you have any issues with compatibility using flat bar brake levers with road bike brake calipers? I have read somewhere of differing pull ratios causing problems.

@vickster ; I am planning to do something similar with my Specialized Secteur drop bar. I believe the frame is the same one as used on the Sirrus flat bar bike anyway; so all I intend to do is take off the drop bars, along with the Shimano Tiagra shifters. I will be buying MTB bars, along with Shimano Deore 9 speed triple MTB shifters, and a pair of Shimano Tiagra brake levers.

Did you have any issues with compatibility using flat bar brake levers with road bike brake calipers? I have read somewhere of differing pull ratios causing problems.
I'm not sure how apt it is but the Giant Rapid uses a flat bar with side pull callipers.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member

All my kit was SRAM, no issues at all. Just bought shifters and brake levers compatible with the rest of the kit

Only issue I had was that the bike was too small as a flat bar and probably sold to a friend who is 4 inches shorter than me. Even with a 130mm stem, too cramped (friend will ride with a 90/100mm stem)

Top Bottom