Road bike to hybrid...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toeknee

Über Member
Hi all,

I am contemplating selling / swapping my road bike for a hybrid/bike, more suited for canal paths, leisure paths, but also some road riding aswell. I don't think the road bike is doing my back any good, but also have been on some sky rides recently, which sometimes involve going on semi rough tracks, and some roads. So could anyone point me in the right direction bike wise for these rides. So I could potentially have this for sale soon.

20140615_122329_zpsmgh3bjdj.jpg
This is my 2010 specialized Allez. Size 54cm.
It's just been upgraded to full 10spd Tiagra groupset, and had mavic aksium wheels fitted. Any advice , offers, swaps
Greatly appreciated.

Regards
Tony.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Something like a Specialized Sirrus, Giant Rapid, Cannondale Quick, Trek 7.x, Ridgeback Flight, my fave the Whyte R7 range ;) ...which model will be driven by your budget but look for a carbon fork and something with a 25-32mm tyre...all will handle rougher stuff, just need to be sensible when considering the terrain

Get to an Evans, have some testrides

Lincov

A few things:

A good bike fit should sort your back out without changing bikes

My hybrid is a Trek 7.4, and I have no real complaints at all, it's towards the road end of the spectrum but copes fine with canal paths etc.

You might want to put more info on the road bike: make, model, frame size etc

flyingfish

I know it's the budget end of the market but my Claude Butler Urban has been great fun on sky rides. Just done another today. Copes with everything on them
Pete

OP
OP
toeknee

toeknee

Über Member
I bought an urban 300 in 2011 when I first started back cycling, but swapped it for a road bike, then got a hybrid, and then a road bike again, got my wife a ladies urban 300 at the same time, been used twice, about 12 miles, but has now turned into a very dear clothes hanger in the bedroom. ...:blush:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I know back issues can vary greatly, but I have a Spesh Allez elite & find it the most comfortable out of my 3 bikes. I had 3 months off work last year with my bike & cut my miles right down on the bike, only about 600 in total last year. This year however I've upped my mileage (over 100 miles a week for last 2 months) & my back is a lot better, mostly riding my Allez.
As Lincov says, a good bike fit might sort you out? or just try tweaking a few things yourself. On my tourer I knew the bar position was not right & tried various stems to adjust position, but was really struggling, I was trying to raise & extend position, but then figured it out & needed to shorten the reach, so have now fitted a short raised stem & its a lot better

OP
OP
toeknee

toeknee

Über Member
I couldn't agree more about the comfort of my Spesh allez, but the change is not completely down to back issues, I started doing sky rides, as I was becoming very bored and Un motivated riding on my own, the result being that doing sky rides has made me look forward to going out and riding with these people, but as I have said some of the rides involve both on and off road sections, I could have gone on a ride today with them, but I did the same ride a few weeks ago , and the off ride part. ( wirral way ) was very nervy and uncomfortable on the road bike, as some of the sections were very wet and muddy, which resulted in me nearly sliding off my road bike, so to enable me to attend more sky rides , I am wanting to swap to a hybrid bike.

Thank you

Tony.

OP
OP
toeknee

toeknee

Über Member
No it's far to small Vicks. :smile:

OP
OP
toeknee

toeknee

Über Member
Just checking down the back of the sofa......... And chairs....... And under the seats in the car.............^_^

OP
OP
toeknee

toeknee

Über Member
Mmmm..... Unfortunately I would have to look behind every sofa on the wirral to afford one of those........^_^

Top Bottom